Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Affordable, Lightweight Observing Scope for a CEM25ec

Wow Alan, we are practically neighbors. I live north of Jackson. I will PM you or you me and we can discus some dark sky locations off of 55 between us. I was looking west of Vaughn. That's closer to me than you.  I bet you know some other places. It's good to meet you.

Very informative post. My last post crossed with yours but it sounds like I was answering you. haha I didnt't realize the tropics went so far north.

For a Schmidt or a Maksutov, heating-strips are applied round the front of the telescope.  A heated dew-shield should be ample for your CC, if not an unheated one.

You won't see dew-shields within the sales-listings of any telescope, not as an option, a suggested accessory, nothing.  One of, if not the strongest selling-point of all Cassegrains is the short tube, therefore the manufacturers and their vendors are not going to endanger sales, to say the least.  It's most irresponsible on their part, I might add.   Then, I doubt that you'll ever see a CC sporting one within an image online, as not that many amateurs own a CC in the first place, let alone a dew-shield for one.

Isn't it attractive; nice 'n' short?  "I want one!"...

kit3b.jpg.c49d2e327f14f34bcd2627aeaad84ea3.jpg

Alas, it's not so pretty now, is it...

1001821095_dewshield3d.jpg.c236ea8718288bc669f36462d82e7ace.jpg

I would like to have a CC myself some day, but it would never exit the house without a dew-shield fitted; unless I lived out west where it's dry as a bone, even at night.

Edited by Alan64

1 hour ago, stringB said:

Wow Alan, we are practically neighbors. I live north of Jackson. I will PM you or you me and we can discus some dark sky locations off of 55 between us. I was looking west of Vaughn. That's closer to me than you.  I bet you know some other places. It's good to meet you.

Very informative post. My last post crossed with yours but it sounds like I was answering you. haha I didnt't realize the tropics went so far north.

I live in DeSoto county, which is considered part of the Memphis metropolitan area.  Actually, I observe from my home, only.  It's not great, but not bad, in so far as light-pollution.

I've been to Jackson a few times, in my past work.  I remember seeing "Vaughn" on a sign or two whilst driving to Jackson.  I'm a caregiver for my surviving parent now.

I'm putting together a reel with 200ft cat 5 cable and 200ft extension cord heat shrinked so I can image from the comfort of my studio. As you know I'm also planning try my hand at observing. You have to be present in the elements to win. I have never imaged anywhere other than this Bortle 6 backyard but it sure is convenient. I was looking at the light pollution map for best case scenario dark spot close by. It's all over an hour away to get away from Jackson lights.

Edited by stringB
spell check

I'm  testing this weekend using the only instruments I have right now. I'll call this one cyclops. haha My goal is to see how well the guidecam will do with ASIAIRPRO Polar Alignment and Goto for a 2 50mm scopes that will one day be my RASA's guidescope and finderscope.

cyclops.jpg

Edited by stringB
added photo

With the creation of the Frankenscope:

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/365294-affordable-lightweight-observing-scope-for-a-cem25ec/?do=findComment&comment=3979951

It is clear that I can't carry this scope mounted to the mount and mount mounted  to the tripod even just to the backyard. From my tests.  I must carry the CEM25ec and 2" tripod together (sans CW) and just mount and balance the scope each night out as we all do.  My projected observing build will be pushing the payload limits of the CEM25ec. Solution? I'm going to upgrade to a CEM40 of course.  They appear to be in stock.  If I downgrade to the 1.5" tripod the carry weight for the CEM40/1.5TP is the same as the CEM25ec/2"TP but handle much more payload. I'm closing in on the completed kit... just doing the backordered waiting game now.

I’m scopeless and mountless. During the sale of my FRA400 I managed to fetch a good price on the CEM25ec. I sort of outgrew the Lightweight part and I’m working on loosing the affordable part too. I will be running a CEM40 . I have not chosen the heavier scope I might run on it and again I am open to suggestions. However, I must have EAF compatibility and that is not always easy. I have taken this down time to build the convertible visual/imaging train but all I have to install it on is my future guidescope. I might try and see what kind of guidestar numbers  I can get but that’s about all the trouble I can get into right now.

FMII.jpg

Edited by stringB