Latitude Scale on William Optics Wedge

UKRoman

Hi All,

Not that it matters in anything other than a cosmetic sense, but has anyone else with a William Optics Wedge noticed that the latitude scale might not represent actual latitude in degrees? I'm at 53 degrees North and the scale reads 36 when I'm polar aligned. Or am I missing something obvious?

Wedge.thumb.jpg.714589841bad661afc45ea5ecd601782.jpg

Cheers

Edited by UKRoman

1 hour ago, Cornelius Varley said:

90-36= ????ish

Yeah, good call. I guess that's about right. It seems a bit of an odd way of representing it though.  My AZ-EQ6 shows around 52 degrees, which you just dial straight in. Although I've only just noticed the scale markings on that count the opposite way round, so I think you're right. I wonder why William Optics have done it like this. In any case it makes no practical difference, it's a wonderfully engineered wedge 🙂

Ah, my bad. I’ve just switched out the Redcat on the AZ-GTi for a DSLR on the Star Adventurer mount head. Using this configuration the WO wedge is in the opposite orientation, so the latitude scale is the right way round. That’s what I love about this hobby, you learn something ew every day 😃

Yeah I can see that now. I realised it was flipped when I had it set up next to my AZ-EQ6, and I confirmed it when I set up the Star Adventurer mount. I thought it was odd. But clearly my misunderstanding. Definitely a fantastic upgrade whichever way round the scale is flipped. 👍