Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Bent Latitude Adjustment Bolts Skywatcher EQ5

Jm1973

I recently bought a Skywatcher EQ5 mount, and the south latitude adjustment bolt is bent. I've seen numerous threads on this subject, and have seen replacements on sale for £35 a set. I've also seen people buying M8 bolts and using Allan keys to adjust them. I've just been looking and think I have found a good solution, at an extremely cheap price.

Capture.PNG.ed8a5d53c0ac2a69908b0886c281255b.PNG

These were the princely sum of £2.50 on that well known auction site. Search for eye bolts.

The great thing about these is you can easily turn them by hand. They have a thread length of 75mm which is about the same as the stock bolts, and they are zinc plated so will be stronger than the stock bolts.

I'll update this thread once I've got them to say if they actually fit or not!

Edited by Jm1973
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This problem is compounded by the blot pushing against an aluminium slope which wears after a while so instead of the bolt pushing against the slope it rides up it and bends.

If you're into DIY there are various solutions such as lining the aluminium with stainless steel set to suit your latitude.

Dave

Edited by Davey-T
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

This problem is compounded by the blot pushing against an aluminium slope which wears after a while so instead of the bolt pushing against the slope it rides up it and bends.

If you're into DIY there are various solutions such as lining the aluminium with stainless steel set to suit your latitude.

Dave

Hi Dave. Thanks for the reply. I have come across this, and at the other extreme I have come across people who have had the mount itself wear away by using too strong bolts.

I think as long as one loosens the opposite bolt first. then 'takes the strain' on the mount head, before tightening the adjustment bolt, therte should be no problem with bolts bending or mounts wearing down.

In theory anyway.

Fingers crossed, eh?

I'll know what's what when I take out the current bolts. As you say, it may well be that I need to do something to the mount itself as well as replacing the bolts.

The bolts are definitely bent though.

Edited by Jm1973