Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Second hand mount....help?

Hi, so! I've messaged someone about a second hand mount (NEQ6 to be precise) and, in doing so, have realised that I have absolutely no idea what I am doing. I have never used an EQ mount before, so I have no idea what I'm looking at/for. Is there anyone who could possibly help me figure out if the mount I am looking at is a decent option? Won't share the ad here for the privacy of the person who posted (its not on here, and its not anonymous). 

An neq6 is a very decent mount, suitable for imaging. As an imager, and having owned an EQ6 for ten years, you won’t really go wrong at all.  It has a good payload capacity, tracks well, is widely supported online, has many users, and is easily controlled via a pc  

If imaging isn’t your plan, then perhaps there are better options!  But since I’ve never observed I cannot give you advice there.

Godd luck!

14 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

An neq6 is a very decent mount, suitable for imaging. As an imager, and having owned an EQ6 for ten years, you won’t really go wrong at all.  It has a good payload capacity, tracks well, is widely supported online, has many users, and is easily controlled via a pc  

If imaging isn’t your plan, then perhaps there are better options!  But since I’ve never observed I cannot give you advice there.

Godd luck!

Thank you! Much appreciated. 

I'm kind of looking to do both - observing to get the hang of it (I'm almost a complete newbie, having only ever used a mate's 130p dob) then venture into imaging. The NEQ6 is likely to be a bit overkill for me tbh, but I'm gritting my teeth at there being no HEQ5s anywhere - and those being sold second hand usually go before I even see the adverts (either that, or they have some kind of fault). So I was wondering if I could get away with the NEQ6 while I'm waiting, then sell that on when the demand mounts settles down somewhat again. 

What kind of thing would you recommend looking at before buying? I'll check the bolts etc for rust where I can (with my newbie eyes), and I'll try and do a daytime mockup star alignment. The photos look decent to me, but again I know nothing 😂