NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Beginner's tips and how-tos for starting with a new C11 EDGE HD

Hi all,

After some years of having fun with our "toy" scope AstroMaster 130EQ we decided to make a significant step-up and invest into a C11 EDGE HD scope, mounted on the heavy CGX-L so that at some point in the future the mount will not be a limiting factor when starting to explore astrophotography as well.

The purchase has been made and now it is waiting time until the equipment arrives (expecting early November):

1) scope & mount: 1100 Edge HD CGX-L

2) eyepieces: TV Ethos 8mm, Nikon NAV HW 17mm, TV Panoptic 41mm, 2" Baader BBHS diagonal with Clicklock, Celestron UHC/LP filter

3) accessories: Star Sense, SkyPortal WiFi, Focus motor, Reducer 0.7X, Off Axis Guider, Nikon T-ring, Vibration Supp pads, Lithium Pro battery, Dew shield etc.

While we wait for the scope to arrive, I'd like to read-up on some beginner guides and how-tos when approaching skywatching with such a beast of a scope (e.g. setting-up, collimation, polar alignment, etc.). Any useful tips you could give me? There are many many threads in the forum here, but if there is any that you might suggest as a good intro read I'd really appreciate.

Cheers! :)

It sounds like the only things missing from your equipment list is eyeball tracking and the Celestron TeasMaid(TM) add-on.  Seriously though, if you just take your time to read through and comprehend all of the instructions and assuming it all works as expected, I'm sure you'll have no trouble using it.  I'd recommend doing a couple of setup and take-down dry runs indoors or during daylight hours just so that you can familiarise yourself with it fully before going for dark setup, you may find that you want a couple of good quality flight cases with pluck foam for the bits and pieces, you could be window shopping for those but I'd hold off on buying until you know exactly how much space your kit requires, check the 'Show us your eyepiece cases' thread.

Standard SCT collimation should apply (no need for a Cheshire collimator, just do what it says in the manual).

Edited by jonathan
  • Haha 1

I would have a look at some sort of dew protection.  I see that you have already considered a dew shield, but I would also consider an electric heater tape.  Also, if you eventually go down the astrophotography route, then a "visual back" adapter is useful.

Chris

Edited by cfpendock
left out word

20 hours ago, jonathan said:

It sounds like the only things missing from your equipment list is eyeball tracking and the Celestron TeasMaid(TM) add-on.  Seriously though, if you just take your time to read through and comprehend all of the instructions and assuming it all works as expected, I'm sure you'll have no trouble using it.  I'd recommend doing a couple of setup and take-down dry runs indoors or during daylight hours just so that you can familiarise yourself with it fully before going for dark setup, you may find that you want a couple of good quality flight cases with pluck foam for the bits and pieces, you could be window shopping for those but I'd hold off on buying until you know exactly how much space your kit requires, check the 'Show us your eyepiece cases' thread.

Standard SCT collimation should apply (no need for a Cheshire collimator, just do what it says in the manual).

Haha... TeasMaid(TM) sounds like a wonderful idea! :)    ...I'll try to convince my wife we need something like that! :)

I've been reading up on Celestron & general SCT collimation, trying to get myself ready... of course until I have the machine in hand, it is difficult to be theoretical only. But all this is really helpful to at leat prepare me in some of the challenges ahead :)

thanks also for the tip on daylight exercises... makes sense!

1 minute ago, aeneas said:

I've been reading up on Celestron & general SCT collimation, trying to get myself ready... of course until I have the machine in hand, it is difficult to be theoretical only. But all this is really helpful to at leat prepare me in some of the challenges ahead :)

It shouldn't be necessary to collimate a new scope, just check with an out of focus view of a bright star when you first take it out at night.  Bob's knobs are a good idea too as PeterCPC suggested, however I owned my 8" SCT for about 8 years before I replaced the three collimation screws - if you take care when handling your scope it shouldn't lose it's collimation easily.  When is someone going to release a scope that auto-collimates?

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

first I would like to thank all that helped above... Christmas came early and the scope, the mount and a whole bunch of accessories have arrived. I have started a separate thread which will be used to guide through the setting-up process and troubleshooting; which I hope there will be quite some :)

Please see the post here and please help out if you have some ideas / comments - I will appreciate it very much!
Cheers!