NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

October 19, 2020: H-alpha Lunch Break (at last)

Just caught a fairly substantial crack in the cloud cover, and set up my Coronado SolarMax-II 60 mm to have a quick peek at our sun. AR2776 took centre stage (or just below), with a clear sunspot, and some lovely dark whorls and bright plage surrounding it. A tiny prom could just be made out at the 9 o'clock position, and a lovely large arcing prom was visible between the 2 and 3 o'clock positions. I found that today single stack gave much the better views than double stacking (tuning can be finicky, I find). Still, great to see some activity on our nearest star once more.

• Like 5

I managed about 15 minutes at lunchtime between the clouds and the trees. 30x in the Lunt LS60DS. Michael pretty much sums it up, although I could also see a fainter prom around the 6 o'clock position depending on where I positioned the sun in the FOV.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, astro_al said:

I managed about 15 minutes at lunchtime between the clouds and the trees. 30x in the Lunt LS60DS. Michael pretty much sums it up, although I could also see a fainter prom around the 6 o'clock position depending on where I positioned the sun in the FOV.

Interesting, missed that one