NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SW Skyliner 200P Flex GOTO or Celestron Nexstar SE 6

Hi Guys

Sorry, questions like this probably been asked a million times.

But at these prices I cant get it wrong, I currently have a Heritage 130p, looking for an upgrade, settled on these two, i've researched as much as I can on both, the DOB being big and bulky is no issue for me. I love the look of the Nexstars but they are more pricey.  Its the more technical side like GOTO software that I'm not sure of or dont really understand, like reliability, quality ect.  What I'm really looking for is a good 'All rounder'' DSO AND planets. The Nexstar 8'' is out of my budget by the way.

Just cant make my mind up, i lean first to the DOB then to the se 6!

Many Thanks for reading, any info much appreciated.

I've got the 200P flextube goto.  There isn't much that is that is overly technical about setting them up.  Any goto system works in a similar way.  The 200P is undoubtedly improved by the WiFi gizmo that you can get for it which attaches to a mobile phone app.  FWIW if I bought again I'd get the same scope.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, steve wiz said:

Hi, 

Thanks for the reply, whats your take on the Nexstar se 6 in over all comparison?  

It's 2" smaller in mirror size.

However, it is considerably lighter.

At f10 it will be even less picky than the SW with eyepieces.

I've never used the goto system with either, so can't comment on that, sorry. :)

If it helps, the alt-azimuth Nexstar  GoTo mount bundled with the C6 is one of the easier GoTo systems to master and use (I also have a EQ5 Synscan).  I don't like the Synscan system.

If you look, you will find several alternative bundles incorporating the C6 OTA.  There was one deal which effectively threw in a free GoTo mount. Others included an nice Evolution alt-az GoTo, and there is one with an AVX German equatorial.   The cheapest ones might prove too wobbly, but the C6 SE has the same mount as the C8 SE.

Whether you want the convenience of GoTo and actually being able to find stuff, or the simplicity of a Dob (apparently it can be used without the GoTo) is entirely your choice.  As with the C8 SE, the assembly of C6 SE tripod/mount/OTA is light and compact enough to be carried out through a standard door in one lump.

As for reliability and quality, the Celestron SCTs are well made and the design has been popular for the last four decades.  Electronic gear does eventually tend to fail, but in this case a likely scenario is that you would take the opportunity to upgrade the mount with a new and better design, retaining the same OTA.   My C8 SE mount is several years old, and still working.  The electronic engine control system in my car is still working after nearly 20 years.

Edited by Cosmic Geoff
  • Like 1