Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Is this a reasonable rig for lunar work..

Fozzie

Hi all, I'm thinking of upping my time and capabilities on lunar imaging..  currently I use a 102F11 achro and unmodded eos750d, and I've had some nice whole disk images.. coupled with an es x2 Telextender for closer

I'd like to get a bit deeper than that combo allows me, so with weight in mind for the GP mount, duel motors, I'm thinking the new 6"f12 CC and asi 178mc might make a really nice combo, especially with the pixel size of the asi 

Totally new to dedicated astro cameras, would this be a good match, with the x75 reducer I could use the 750d and CC for whole disk also..

What's people's thoughts..

Tia 

Fozzie 

I think a 6" CC would be a very nice Lunar setup, although not a great leap up from the 4" frac in terms of resolution.  I think the 8" version would be perfectly usable on the driven GP, as long as the focuser was motorised (and assuming it's within budget of course). I wouldn't be too afraid of exceeding mount manufacturers weight limits for lunar and planetary work, especially with short tube scopes... I've been happily doing it for years! 

• Like 1

Thanks Craig..

I thought that about the 6"CC being close to the F11, but the astrotools calculator threw out some figures that made me think again..  the F11 has a dawes of 1.14arc/sec while the 6"CC has a DL of 0.76arc/sec, that feels like a reasonable jump...  resolution is 0.68 to 0.42 (native) 38% increment..  

weight wise its easily 8kg for the 6CC, the 8CC is going to be 11kg including camera.. i'm not sure the 25 year old motors would thank me for the later, especially with counterweight, its a lot of weight, not to mention the setting up etc..

I think 6CC is more realistic..  

Any thoughts on camera to match..  I'm basing the fact the canon has 3.75 pixels to the 2.4 pixels as being/bringing a better resolution..  but i have no idea how that side works..

thanks again 

Fozzie

Oh and the f11, will probably change to a F7 when back in stock/at some point..  which will obviously impact resolution

Edited by Fozzie