SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

A Draconid - maybe?

Set up my cobbled together all sky camera last night in a hope I might catch a glimpse of a Draconid. I was capturing frames from around 10.00 p.m. through to 6.15 a.m. with significant periods of partial and total cloud cover during the night. This frame popped up just prior to dawn breaking. Clearly shows something but not quite where I expect to see it.

227231978_Draconid2020-10-09.thumb.jpg.1c61daedd090ef4683c021cd5d62ee33.jpg

North is at the bottom of the picture - Pole Star pretty much dead-centre.

I have to say my limited experience of imaging meteor showers is prepare for total disappointment, either due to a lack of meteors or 100% cloud cover.

Adrian

• Like 1

The frame before and after this shot should be the tell. If this is a meteor, which it doesn’t look like one to me, there will be nothing in those frames. The reason I don’t think it is a meteor is the symmetry between starting and ending points. Meteors usually start off faint and grow in brightness until they burn up, or stop emitting light. I can’t tell which end is supposed to be the beginning.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 09/10/2020 at 22:17, theropod said:

The frame before and after this shot should be the tell. If this is a meteor, which it doesn’t look like one to me, there will be nothing in those frames. The reason I don’t think it is a meteor is the symmetry between starting and ending points. Meteors usually start off faint and grow in brightness until they burn up, or stop emitting light. I can’t tell which end is supposed to be the beginning.

Hi - sorry - only just seen this reply.

The frames before and after show nothing - not a trace. It looks a bit odd to me too. Lots of frames contained satellite trails, which were all much more feint. There were also plenty of aircraft tracks - dotted flashes. This was the only one that came close to looking like a meteor.

Adrian