Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

DIY DeepSkyDad DCHub

wormix

I am currently toying with various portable methods for powering my set up and was considering purchasing one of these - https://deepskydad.com/dchub2 

But then I got wondering whether it would be pretty simple to build one myself. 

Ignoring the USB for now, to split an incoming 12v source into 5 separate jacks, would it be as simple as wiring them all together - so incoming live to 5 live wires from the output jacks, and the same with the earth, or am I missing something?  

Obviously would do something a little more elegant than just shoving them all into a terminal block, but would that work, or would it be susceptible  to voltage fluctuations, etc?

What I am trying to achieve is a lightweight distribution box I can mount to my dovetail, then have a single power cord connecting to the battery at ground level. 

be interested in your thoughts

cheers

I'm essentially connecting a load of cables to one of these at the moment: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07DN92HVB

The DCHUB2 will essentially do the same with a fused cigarette lighter plug, plus a 2 x 3A 5V USB cable & plug, which is kind of what I'm using, this just puts all that it in a neat little box. 

So while DCHUB2 looks better than what I now have I want to move to something better - I would want something where each output has its own fuse, this looks like it just has a fuse on the total draw.

I also want Dew heater control, on/off power control, environmental sensors, USB3 hub... (see my other thread in this forum). But I'm not looking to break the bank right now... so will probably soldier on with what I currently have until budget permits something else.

Good to know - that’s essentially what I want to do - have power distribution and usb all together, and maybe dew too.  Was going to use strip board for distribution to separate ports. 

I have most of the components, so just want to incorporate them all neatly. 

Edited by wormix

10 minutes ago, wormix said:

Good to know - that’s essentially what I want to do - have power distribution and usb all together, and maybe dew too.  Was going to use strip board for distribution to separate ports. 

I have most of the components, so just want to incorporate them all neatly. 

I had considered something like this for fusing https://www.amazon.co.uk/Negative-Blade-Holder-Indicator-Marine/dp/B07K4232VG ... but if I keep spending £15 here, £5 there etc... then I'll never get round to something which has the Dew Control, environmental sensors and such like.

• 1 month later...

I have been playing around with this and have now finished. 

Im not sure whether the close proximity of the electrics will impact the USB - I guess it’s quite likely, but building it kept me entertained for a while so no great loss if it doesn’t work. 

I have altered it slightly from the first picture by incorporating a dc-dc buck converter to give 5v to the usb hub and one of the outlets to power a Pi. I also wanted to include 8v for a Canon camera but decided to build that in line with the camera power cable instead. 

606B6851-FC92-4DFC-90CA-27EB473AB550.jpeg

F88BA08E-4E4A-485C-A0B4-90F313B0DDFA.jpeg

• Like 2