Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New Bresser 'scope but which one?

I can pretty much guess the answer to this one but I'll float it out anyway. For quite some time I've contemplated acquiring a 6" F8 reflector, but having moved house in the last year and now having that feeling of  landed and sorted I'm here again looking at the same question.  My  home observing station has changed to one of a small enclosed courtyard garden and whilst this restricts views and there is some encroaching stray light from neighbours, when skies are clear its good Bortle 3. In addition we have a nice substantial dry summer house which I can store my 'scope so its just a matter of lifting it out 3 yards or so. Wonderful!  Mount wise I have a decent heavy duty tripod, extension pillar and Giro mount, (which i use with the Tal100r)  for it to go on. Orginaly it was simply going to be the SW 150PL but then I got looking at the Bresser NT150L (150/1200) being somewhat seduced by its functionally good looking hex focuser. The C/O is larger than the 150PL but that, should I wish, can be easily remedied.  Since my days with my F7.3 Tal 1 I've liked the idea of a long F8 larger aperture scope, so what's stopping me? Well apart from a recent tempting courtship with a C6 I keep looking at the Bresser 8" F6 Dob. Since my time with an  150mm F5 reflector I have felt I must, compared to many folk, be a bit sensitive to coma, perhaps in the way that some people are more sensitive than other to CA. On paper the F8 scope is better by far in this respect but the extra aperture and the fact that an 8" Dob for me is now a really practical proposition its very tempting. As said I'm guessing the "aperture wins" voices will shout loudly. Perhaps the question here is, in real practical (rather than theoretical) observational terms how noticeable would coma be comparatively between the F6 150 and the F8 200. As a secondary question does the 8" Bresser Dob need a riser base to bring the eyepiece to more practical level or is observing from an adjustable height stool work sufficiently well? I've not used a Dob of this size before. Thanks.

Edited by Alfian

6 hours ago, Alfian said:

does the 8" Bresser Dob need a riser base to bring the eyepiece to more practical level or is observing from an adjustable height stool work sufficiently well?

I've got an 8" bresser dob from the first run and I have added 100mm to the height of the base because I swapped the then supplied RDF to a Telrad and 9x50 RACI and needed to move the OTA further back in the rings than the original base height would allow. I've also added some shedmates to the base to lift the chipboard base up a bit from any wet grass beneath. I sit on a drummer's stool to observe. I do not recall having any problems with the height prior to my modifications, but the planets were higher back then. With the planets as low as they have been recently I've had to observe with the stool at its lowest setting, and so the extra 150mm height has been quite nice to have. 

• Thanks 1