Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Another painful newbie I'm afraid.........

Hello there,

Advice please !

Just decided I want to get back into astronomy... not that I have ever been any kind of expert you understand.... use to have a small refractor telescope that I could just about make the rings out on Saturn and could just about see / imagine the moons of Jupiter...

So in short I am after some advice as to what I should be looking at please.

I will be looking for a fairly portable telescope that will fit easily into the back of my coupe car. I want to use it at work ( a test track in befordshire that is 800 acres and in the middle of nowhere..pitch black at night ) Also want to use it at home with my seven year old son.

Would like to be able to do some photography with it too.

Second hand would be my first choice...any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any replies in advance.

Nog. :scratch:

I will be looking for a fairly portable telescope that will fit easily into the back of my coupe car. I want to use it at work ( a test track in befordshire that is 800 acres and in the middle of nowhere..pitch black at night ) Also want to use it at home with my seven year old son.

I wonder what test track you're talking about...:)...

Sounds like to me you'd prefer a Mak-Cass or SCT which both fold the light path up inside the tube to create a telescope that's short and compact. What sort of budget are you thinking of?

Tony..

I think one there might be a good candidate: http://www.firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=SW127SupaTrakAUTO . Nice small scope that'll still show you lots of detail on plenty of sky objects, the mount isn't GOTO (so it won't find objects for you) but it will track objects across the sky. Plus a little bit left over some some basic accessories.

Tony..

I know it's slightly over your budget but a Celestron Nexstar 4 costing £350 brand new is a decent enough small portable scope. It also has goto, although you may not require this function.The trouble is if you ask 10 people, your likely to get 10 different answers, due in part to their individual preferences.I would highly advise you give Steve at FLO a ring. Tell him your budget and what you want from the scope and he will advise accordingly. Top bloke. :)

Hello and welcome to Stargazers Lounge "nognuzzbut!"

For great views and portability, I would go with Tony's suggestion of the Skywatcher 127 Maksutov.

I have the 90mm version, and it's a great little scope.

I believe the "Supatrack" version is very easy to set up, it will "track" whatever you are observing, and will definately give you superb views of the Moon, Planets, and stars, and some of the brighter deep sky objects.

Your son will love the scope too.

Best wishes on whatever your choice,

Philsail1

Thanks everso much for your replies...

Awaiting a sale on ebay to see what the final budget is.... maybe as high as £350 in the end, will be a week perhaps before I know for sure... isn't the prospect of buying another gadget great !!

Thanks again

Archived