NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

How do I attach a Skywatcher 127 to an EQ-5 mount ?

philf

Just ahd them delivered and its beyond me !

The EQ-5 came with a short mounting plate but not a long mouonting plate - is that correct ?

The short mouonting plate doesnt seem to be able to attach to the dovetail on the 127 and the dovetail on the 127 doesnt seem to slide into the head of the mount so I'm at a bit of a loss.

If anyone could offer any advice then that would be fantastic as my already thin head is getting balder by the minute !

Thanks

Phil

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sure

This is the head of the EQ5

11833_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

It comes with a short bar that attaches as below

11835_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

It seems to be that the short bar "could" attach to the dovetail bar of the 127

11836_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

But theres no screws in any of the boxes to do this - nor do I know which size screws to use or even if thats what you're meant to do.

In an earlier post a couple of guys said it should fit right on (http://stargazerslounge.com/index.php/topic,37403.0.html)

But if I try that I get the below

11838_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

So I' wondering if I am meant to flip the dovetail bar on the 127 but that doesnt lok as though it will fit, attach the short bar, but which size screws is it, or am I missing the long bar in the box that the manual for the EQ-5 says should be there (see page 8 of http://www.skywatchertelescope.net/swtsupport/Instruction_Manuals/GENERAL_EQ3and5.pdf) but page 4 of the manual the graphic sort of shows the short bar directly attached to the scope but the holes on the bar dont line up to the holes drilled on the scope.

I hope the abioe is enough to let you help me get somewhere !

Cheers

Phil

The 127 doesn't come with rings, that small dovetail just needs to be bolted to the metal strip on the scope. I think you are just missing a couple of bolts, if you want a quick fix while you contact the dealer then the right sized roofing bolts from most DIY shops work fine.

Hi Phil

I have the EQ3-2 but it is the same as the EQ5.

I have a Skywatcher dovetail and I have cut it down to match the same length of the 127Mak mounting bridge.

When you have bolted the dovetail to the OTA mounting bridge you can clamp the dovetail in the EQ5.

Paul

yup - they line up perfectly - just didnt know what size screws - if any should have been in th ebox and, if not, what size to buy

I've sorta come to the conclusion that I should unsrew the bar from the 127 and take it and the eq5 dovetail to b & q tomorrow and buy somne screws that fit

its just a bit annoying that you buy both bits together and neither bix has the screws in nor do the shop tell you you'll need them even tho you ask them if you'll need anything else - which is why I think they should have been in one of the boxes !

Do you guys usually have to buy screws to connect things together ? Is that normal ? I'm new at this so dont have a clue and this is my first scope

Thanks for the replies and help

Phil

I've only bought scope secondhand Phil so I don't know whether the bolts were included, you'd like to think so eh? But having to do a little DIY on new kit isn't uncommon in astronomy (it was a damn site more common a few years ago). It might be worth leaving the bar in place and taking the scope and dovetail to B&Q, the less that bar is unscrewed the better from a rigidity point of view.

If you are going to remove the bar (be careful as I'm pretty sure you'd need to unscrew the front corrector to remove the inner screws) you might consider fitting some tube-rings then bolting them (with the supplied bolts) to the short dovetail, or to a longer dovetail which would be better for balancing the tube.

HTH

Thanks Guys

At least I now KNOW that I'm meant to attach one to another - lol - seems daft I know but when its your first time .......

Steve - I took the attached bar off the scope to see if I had to turn it upside down or something after the previous post about it being able to attach directly but I think I'll follow Gaz's advice and make sure its back on as tight as I can and take the whole OTA to B & Q (It comes with a bag and bubble wrap so I'm guessing that would be OK).

That'll let me get up and running quickest but I'd be interested in some rings if you could point me in the right direction - If I attache the rings to the tube I should be about to mount a camera on top of the rings shouldnt I for wide field shots ?

Thanks once again guys - at least I know I'm not going mad !

Phil

thanks - order placed

luckliy the weathers so bad so I have to wait anyway :)

Once again, thanks to everyone for their help - at least by this time next week I should be able to get up and running !

Phil

one last question - would I remove the attached bar to attach the rings (I cant see from the pictures how it attaches) ?

[/quote

I think you do need to remove it as Gaz says - be carefull that there are not 2 nuts inside the OTA that would come loose when you unscrew the bolts - you don't want them rattling around inside the OTA and damaging your optics !.

John

Archived