Meade model 4504 - 0.965″ to 1.25″ Telescope Eyepiece Adapter

A friend has just unearthed a motorised 'scope which I calculate is at least 20 years old.  The Meade 4504 is a 114mm Newt on a GEM. I haven't had a chance to look at it yet but if the optics are OK and the electronics still work the principal drawback seems to be the focuser will only take  0.965" EPs.  What he has are probably those that came with the original kit and, therefore, probably not top quality.  If everything seems optically and electronically sound would an adapter to take 1.25" EPs be worth exploring?  Somebody out there must have tried this and if it's a non-starter I'd rather not waste his or my time trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.  On the other hand, if it's feasible I'm happy to give it a go.

never tried on a newt but likely issue you'd have is the 1.25 to 0.965 adaptor will mean the modern eyepiece is further out than an original 0.965 one would sit, essentially like having the focuser racked out more. So you may find there isn't enough in-travel available to get focus with the modern eyepieces. You may be able to solve that by moving the primary mirror up the tube or replacing the focuser with a 1.25-inch one or a combination of both. 

Edited by DaveL59
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, DaveL59 said:

never tried on a newt but likely issue you'd have is the 1.25 to 0.965 adaptor will mean the modern eyepiece is further out than an original 0.965 one would sit, essentially like having the focuser racked out more. So you may find there isn't enough in-travel available to get focus with the modern eyepieces. You may be able to solve that by moving the primary mirror up the tube or replacing the focuser with a 1.25-inch one or a combination of both. 

I agree with this.

It might be worth having a look at the drawtube of the scope to see if a 1.25" fitting can be substituted for the .965" fitting currently in place. This would be by far the best solution.

The 1.25" - .956" adaptors do take up quite a bit of focuser travel.

• Like 1

to give an idea how much difference, I've taken a pic of a circle-V 12.5mm 0.965 EP next to a Vixen 10mm in an adaptor

image.png.ab494c62661eb6074c64aa54105ffbea.png

You'd probably be looking at lifting the mirror an inch or so above where it currently sits. Can be done, new longer screws for the mirror mount and suitable springs and then collimate. I've done this on a TAL-1 after switching the focuser out from the OEM 32mm to an OEM 1.25-inch and that works very well.

• Like 2

I had one of those, as Costco were selling them for a shade under £200 around the turn of the century. They all came with the 0.965" eyepieces.

However, following a bit of a campaign by UK people on the old Meade 4504 Yahoo group,  the Meade importer made available some copies of a replacement 1.25" eyepiece mount - it was simply a case of unscrewing the old one from the end of the focuser and replacing it . This meant there was no change in the position of the eyepiece.

As I recall the replacement mount came from Telescope House, so you might (if you're lucky) find they have some left over. 

Alternatively, Vixen brand used to sell telescopes with the smaller eyepieces, so you could try searching for them instead. 

• Like 2

Thanks for these very helpful responses.  If it were mine I might be tempted to spend time and money to bring it more into line with current models but I suspect the friend who discovered it in the possessions left behind by a deceased partner will take no more than a passing interest in its qualities.  Once I've taken a look at it I'll be able to gauge his level of interest in improving the 'scope and possibly acting on the good advice given here.

Thanks again.

• Like 2