NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Asi533 calibration problem

Craig a

1 hour ago, Phillyo said:

I have nothing of value to really add to this but I just wanted to say that this thread has been a super interesting read (along with the linked thread for the calculations). I'm getting the 533 soon so it's also very applicable to my situation! Thanks Alan for taking the time and effort to explain all of this to us mere mathematician mortals! 

Phil

Thanks Phil.  Glad that it helps out others, as well as those directly asking the questions. 😀

Alan

• Like 1

This might be a daft question, but would it matter if the test image(s) to find the best ADU value to imaging time ratio were taken with a none tracked mount? IE, would star trailing cause the image to be brighter than it ordinarily would be if the image was tracked?

Thanks,

Phil.

1 hour ago, Phillyo said:

This might be a daft question, but would it matter if the test image(s) to find the best ADU value to imaging time ratio were taken with a none tracked mount? IE, would star trailing cause the image to be brighter than it ordinarily would be if the image was tracked?

Thanks,

Phil.

No, it wouldn't matter. As long as there is a portion of background sky in your image, you can hover the mouse over it and get an average background ADU reading from your capture program preview display etc. Also, as long as the total area of background sky is greater than the total area covered by star trails then the median reading of your image statistics readout should still be the sky background ADU. As long as you're not pointing at the Milky Way you should be fine. 🙂

Alan

Edited by symmetal
  • Thanks 1