Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Baader Barlow or Televue PowerMate(s)

Having previously used PowerMates (2x, 4x, and I think I had a 5x at one time) mainly but not exclusively for visual I'm now in need of similar and wondering if I should consider Baader products such as the 2.25x or VIP. In the short term (i.e. the next few months) the application is lunar/planetary, again mainly visual.  I'll also be doing some widefield imaging with a DSLR. Next year (when I hope to have an obsy before winter, or at least a semi-permanent setup) I plan to be moving more towards imaging, though I expect to spend some time observing (mainly lunar) in the backyard with occasional visits to dark sites. Currently my telescopes are an F10 SCT and a small F5.9 refractor. Skywards its Bortle 5/6 at best. I need to add to my EP collection (which is planetary at the moment) though I don't plan to sort out EPs until the obsy is built. Meantime I'm one of many also looking out for a Baader Zoom.

I had been looking out for some used equipment (and probably would have taken whatever came along) though decent used barlows/PowerMates seem to be hard to get hold of. Therefore, rather than miss out on the excellent seeing ahead I'm thinking to buy new (I need at least a 2x in the short term).

Thoughts and suggestions most welcome.

Did you check out the Baader FFC? Expensive but very versatile and the best there is...
https://www.baader-planetarium.com/en/accessories/optical-accessories/barlow-lenses-coma-and-glaspathcorrectors/fluorite-flatfield-converter-(ffc)--3x-8x.html
Please read this before you think it is too expensive. It truly is an amazing piece of equipment and well worth the money!

46 minutes ago, inapottingshed said:

Thanks. I was not aware of that product. I'll check it out. I guess the other thing I need to figure out is if I can get away with one (barlow) or if I need two (one for visual and another for imaging).

Why? different factor?

I' m using both Barlows, the legendary 2x Zeiss Abbe built to Zeiss specifications by Baader, and the 2.25x Turret Barlow. Both are excellent - you forget their existence, once inserted. To be honest, the 2.25x isn't much behind it's famous brother and works well with all my scopes down to f/4.5 ratios and all eyepieces. Very sharp, without edge distortions, neutral colour, lightweight. The 2x is slightly better with my 8" f/4; and I like the Clicklock for 11/4" eyepieces. You will not be disappointed by the very affordable 2.25x Turret Barlow.

Stephan

• Like 2

Well, the FFC is suited for both, visual as well as imaging, but a bit expensive to buy two of them... (For me, that is...)

39 minutes ago, inapottingshed said:

Thanks. Baader seem to have a strong value proposition.

Yes, Baader has always had a great name for their products as well as service. As far as I know they basically are the successor of Zeiss.

• Like 1

The FFC is very nice but I will have to make do with something lesser until next year (haven't budgeted for the obsy yet and I know it will be more than I think). 

It seems the Baader 2.25x barlow has a specific version for the zoom (around £90) and requires an adapter (additional cost - around £70) to be able to use other EP's.  Perhaps the modular VIP product (Part No 2406101) is those two together? Maybe I should just get a zoom first and try it out.

18 minutes ago, inapottingshed said:

The FFC is very nice but I will have to make do with something lesser until next year (haven't budgeted for the obsy yet and I know it will be more than I think). 

It seems the Baader 2.25x barlow has a specific version for the zoom (around £90) and requires an adapter (additional cost - around £70) to be able to use other EP's.  Perhaps the modular VIP product (Part No 2406101) is those two together? Maybe I should just get a zoom first and try it out.

The 2.25x zoom barlow is basically just a lens cell and can be screwed into the filter threads of other EPs, you don't need the additional £70 adaptor unless you want to make it into a 'proper' full barlow with a 1.25" holder. However I'm not sure exactly what the power is when screwed directly into the filter threads. I use it with my Heritage 130p as its nice and lightweight and doesn't take up space in my travel kit. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1