Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First Light report on modified Mk1 Eyeball

Bigwings

When I started observing again last year I noticed that at higher magnifications I was getting different results from the Mk1 eyeballs. The Left eye (my dominant eye) showed ghostly black spider images. The Right was fine but I just cant get used to viewing with the "wrong" eye. At lower magnifications all seemed OK and I dont know enough about the physics of scopes to guess why it became "in focus" at high magnification.

Investigation showed an early cataract which I had operated on last week.

Last night just before the cloud cover arrived I managed to see Venus with Lambda Aquarii in the field and M45 and I have to say they looked GREAT. The Mk 1 eyeball with its new lens is now a Mk1a.

Any more of our more senior (agewise) SGL members have had this?

I can only look through my right eye, I don't even have to close the left one. I'm not blind in my left eye, it's just that my right eye is so dominant it's what my brain 'looks through', unless I shut it and then it switches to the left eye. I assume that I don't have binocular vision because of this.

I always keep both eyes open while observing (on the odd occasion I visually observe) too.

I've been doing it so long I don't think about it...the brain just ignores the signal from the left eye I suppose.

Cheers

Rob

I always try and view with both eyes open ... probably got used to doing it this way from peering through rifle sights for a long time...

Billy...

I used to get bollockings for keeping both eyes open on the range until I put 5x7.62 through the bull at 500 metres. They left me alone after that..........

Archived