Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Vixen GP / GPD2 Belt Mod Questions

AdeKing

I have a Vixen GPD2 that is fitted with a Skysensor 2000PC goto system and a Vixen GP which is fitted with an EQ5 Synscan goto upgrade. 

Whilst I'm happy with the performance of both setups, and am particularly fond of the Skysensor setup, one area I'm conscious of is the amount of noise the Skysensor motors make whilst slewing.

The handset does allow you to decrease the max slewing speed to decrease the noise but it's still pretty noisy unless it's reduced to a snails pace.

I know that I could fit the EQStar 5 upgrade (https://astro-gadget.net/gadgets/control-of-telescopes/eqstareq5) but this replaces the whole system which I don't really want to do and I wondered whether a belt mod would help.

However, I have no idea where to start.

I know there is lots of info on the gearbox ratios of the MT4 motors, and I know you can edit the ratios on the Skysensor handset, but most of the belt drive photos but I have seen show a small pulley on the motor and a large pulley on the axis driveshaft whereas the Skysensor has two same/similar sized gears and i have  no idea where to start when it comes to working out what belts and pulleys are needed to replace the existing cogs, apart from counting the existing teeth.

Has anyone out there belt modded a Skysensor setup or if someone could point me in the right direction then that would be much appreciated.

Ade

Edited by AdeKing

• 4 months later...

Hi Charles,

I'm afraid that I didn't, I didn't get any responses to this thread and I haven't really had the time or money to do very much about it.

I was only really interested in using a Belt Mod as a way of reducing the noise whilst slewing as I was concerned about disturbing the neighbours, whose bedroom window looks out over my observing area.

In the end, I just changed the maximum motor speeds via the setup menu on the SS2K handset until I was happy with the level of noise and just saved it down as a "Quiet" configuration.

I did find the EQStar Belt-Driven GoTo solution which wasn't too badly priced (EQStarEQ5 – GoTo drive upgrade kit for EQ 5/CG-5/MEADE LXD, LX/Vixen FR, GP (- DX), GPD2, ORION SkyView and Bresser EQ 4/EQ 5), but as I was happy with the SS2K I didn't see the point in investing in a whole new GoTo system as the SS2K GoTo is really accurate, much more accurate than my EQ5 Synscan Goto ever was.

However, whilst this didn't help me, the EQStar system might offer you a solution.

Kind regards,

Ade

Edited by AdeKing
Updated EQ Star Hyperlink

• 4 weeks later...
On 22/01/2021 at 17:55, AdeKing said:

Hi Charles,

I'm afraid that I didn't, I didn't get any responses to this thread and I haven't really had the time or money to do very much about it.

I was only really interested in using a Belt Mod as a way of reducing the noise whilst slewing as I was concerned about disturbing the neighbours, whose bedroom window looks out over my observing area.

In the end, I just changed the maximum motor speeds via the setup menu on the SS2K handset until I was happy with the level of noise and just saved it down as a "Quiet" configuration.

I did find the EQStar Belt-Driven GoTo solution which wasn't too badly priced (EQStarEQ5 – GoTo drive upgrade kit for EQ 5/CG-5/MEADE LXD, LX/Vixen FR, GP (- DX), GPD2, ORION SkyView and Bresser EQ 4/EQ 5), but as I was happy with the SS2K I didn't see the point in investing in a whole new GoTo system as the SS2K GoTo is really accurate, much more accurate than my EQ5 Synscan Goto ever was.

However, whilst this didn't help me, the EQStar system might offer you a solution.

Kind regards,

Ade

Hi Ade! 

Sorry it took me long to answer, didn't get notified of the response.. 

I am very happy too with the SS2KPC, got it since 2005 and not planning on changing it. The only downsides perhaps would be not being able to

set upt meridian flip...but is OK. Indeed GOTO accuracy is awesome, but I don't find mine very noisy. Usually ot it set to speed 1400x , my lx200 mount is a LOT more noisier than SS2KPC!  

Been tunning the mount and found out I'm missing two teflon bearings for some reason.. but even though, got to the point of 0.58" total RMS occasionally and usually steady 0.70"! So quite happy. The only problem I have is with DEC backlash, but tht might be the lack of one between the gear and the top part of the DEC axis. Working on it! :)

Thank you for your answer anyway! 

Kind Regards! 

Carles