Cables and rotation directions!

Sorry, I'm full of questions at the moment! 😊 So I'm looking at a target that will mean doing a meridian flip, when my mount (HEQ5 Pro) heads off to the initial target I'm currently running the cables down the left side (as you look North) and the cables sit fine with out snagging but if I do a flip will it continue round the direction it left 'park' which would risk the pulling on the cables or go back in the direction it came and round the other way if that makes sense!? I'm looking at longer cables but wanted to figure that out first. 

A picture may help a lot here.

I think it is normal to leave a loop of cables big enough to not pull on the rig when at either side of the flip. It is also probably better to lightly tie the cables together so they are neat rather than all over the place. I have found tie wrapping them together is not great a it sort of makes one very stiff cable that can affect the tracking. I tend to use small velcro straps not too tight that keeps the cables together but allows individual cables to move slightly.

Steve

I have managed to find an early picture of how I had my HEQ5 setup. n this I have actually tie wrapped the cables together but later changed to use the velcro straps I mentioned above to allow the individual cables to move. They are also much kinder to the cables and less chance of damaging them

image.png.5c84485ebee78485451e660d47dae8d0.png

Steve

Hi on my HEQ5 i bring up the cables through the eyepiece tray then leave a big loop i think the programme  on the main board will not go all the way 360 degs if i look at a target so mount has moved 180 when i go to my next it travels back the other way so cables are not pulled . I have the upgraded cable its heavy and pulls down on the plug were it fits in the HEQ5

I did a little mod to were the hand set plugs in i removed a bolt popped in a tiny cable tie then refitted the bolt the small loop in the cable tie sits just above the plug for the hand set then i use a small bit of garden wire( the fine stuff you use to hold plants to a cane) then wrap this round the cable next to the plug to hold the weight off the plug 

Edited by Neil H
Typo

Guys guys, It's more so that my cables don't wrap around the mount due to the flip so it's to understand what direction the mount always goes in to flip, so does it always travel back the way it came from (towards park) to re position on the other side or travel round the way it was going to be on the other side which would then wrap the cables round my mount!? Il get a picture up at some point today of how I have it. 

Edited by Rustang

So this is how the cables run down to the left towards the table where my laptop sits. If the mount. Was to go off to the right there wouldn't be enough cable slack but if it was other that side but travelled back towards the left to do a flip then I would be ok. 

IMG_20200910_113519.jpg