NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mars 06 Sept

Peter_D

First time capturing Mars in a month -  I'm getting a bit more surface detail using my Celestron 6SE and Canon Eos 6D. Still not great though. The polar cap is noticeably smaller since last month.

(Time: 04:00 CET, 2000 images, best 15% used)

IMG_20200906_133102.png

Edited by Peter_D
Rotated image 180 degrees
  • Like 8

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 06/09/2020 at 11:41, Peter_D said:

First time capturing Mars in a month -  I'm getting a bit more surface detail using my Celestron 6SE and Canon Eos 6D. Still not great though. The polar cap is noticeably smaller since last month.

IMG_20200906_133102.png

Sorry Moderators - didn't mean to repost this, please delete

Edited by Peter_D

• 1 month later...
On 06/09/2020 at 10:41, Peter_D said:

IMG_20200906_133102.png

Awesome photo, Peter! I have the same setup as you. Can you tell me how much Barlow you used and the settings on the camera, please? Struggling to get a decent shot of Mars.

• Like 1

Hi, thanks for the comments. SpaceDave  I'm afraid I misled you a bit because my DSLR is the 60D model, not the 6D. Unfortunately, I can't get the settings right now (The ISO was 800 (I think!)). I remember I used a Barlow x2 and the Video Crop mode to record a video. The planetary tracking on the SE was sweet.

I do remember that around the time of the opposition, I often had to experiment with the camera settings and focus quite a bit.

Mars is a lot smaller now so it might be the case you need to use a x2,5 or x3 Barlow.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Peter_D said:

Hi, thanks for the comments. SpaceDave  I'm afraid I misled you a bit because my DSLR is the 60D model, not the 6D. Unfortunately, I can't get the settings right now (The ISO was 800 (I think!)). I remember I used a Barlow x2 and the Video Crop mode to record a video. The planetary tracking on the SE was sweet.

I do remember that around the time of the opposition, I often had to experiment with the camera settings and focus quite a bit.

Mars is a lot smaller now so it might be the case you need to use a x2,5 or x3 Barlow.

Great, thanks! 

Yeah, I may have to wait until Mars comes back around.

• Like 1