Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mile high laser!

FLO

Not quite Space News but the technology is nonetheless interesting:

Officials Map Out Test Milestones for Airborne Laser

image.jpg

The threat of cancellation no longer looms over the Pentagon's Airborne Laser (ABL) effort, but senior program officials say they are taking nothing for granted as they prepare for a missile-intercept demonstration in 2008.

Several clear test milestones have been laid out for the ABL in 2006 so that senior Missile Defense Agency (MDA) officials will be able to measure its progress, according to Air Force Col. John Daniels, the ABL's program director.

The ABL is a Boeing 747 aircraft being equipped with a high-powered chemical laser to destroy ballistic missiles in their boost phase. Boeing Co. of Chicago is the prime contactor on the effort.

As envisioned, the aircraft would fly in a figure-eight pattern over an area deemed a likely site of a missile launch. Onboard infrared sensors would detect the launch and feed that information into a computer that would direct the laser turret to point at the ascending missile. The turret would then fire two lower-powered solid-state lasers—one to track the missile and one to measure atmospheric distortion—before shooting the high-powered chemical laser at the target.

http://tinyurl.com/qcn9u

You never know what may come out of the technology. I have occasionally had my eyes blasted with a YAG laser, which was originally conceived as a weapon, but now serves to clear up a clouding that happens to cataract patients after lens replacement surgery. My ophthalmologist tells me he's trying to come up with a way to step up the power, and aim it down the hall at a hospital administrator... He's great fun! :lol:

Archived