NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Com Ports and Ascom

astro mick

Hi.

How do you allocate a com port in the Ascom Driver set up,when their are none showing in the Device Manger,or hidden Files?(Windows 10)

I did run the the port find box in the set-up,but it could,nt find any ports.

I have installed the FTDI driver,but am now stuck.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mick.

Win 10 has FTDI drivers built-in so installing one isn't required though it shouldn't do any harm. The EQAscom find port feature is not very reliable as identifying actual devices attached to com ports is not easy to do, if at all.

If your EQAscom cable is plugged in and it isn't listed under 'Com' ports in Device Manager there may be an entry with a yellow exclamation mark under 'Unknown Devices'. If there is right click and uninstall the unknown device and then either select the menu option 'Action/Scan for Hardware changes' or just unplug and replug the EQAscom cable. The Device Manager 'Action' options don't actually appear until you've clicked in the Device Manager main window for some reason.

Alan

1 hour ago, symmetal said:

Win 10 has FTDI drivers built-in so installing one isn't required though it shouldn't do any harm. The EQAscom find port feature is not very reliable as identifying actual devices attached to com ports is not easy to do, if at all.

If your EQAscom cable is plugged in and it isn't listed under 'Com' ports in Device Manager there may be an entry with a yellow exclamation mark under 'Unknown Devices'. If there is right click and uninstall the unknown device and then either select the menu option 'Action/Scan for Hardware changes' or just unplug and replug the EQAscom cable. The Device Manager 'Action' options don't actually appear until you've clicked in the Device Manager main window for some reason.

Alan

Hi Alan.

I dont recall seeing this,but will have another play.

Cheers.

Mick.

What type of USB-Com cable are you using, is it a cheap one or a something like the Skywatcher cable?

I only ask as I ended up buying the Skywatcher cable to update the firmware on my EQ5 handset as the unbranded one I had just wouldn't work.

• Like 1