Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My first telescope

22 hours ago, juda222000 said:

So maybe I need to change the telescope I'm going to get? I mean I'm 6ft tall lol and both my 5 year olds are 4 ft, I would have to carry a table around with me to put this on so me and my kids could look through this.

The 6" Dobsonion is easy to carry around as the scope and base can easily be disconnected and rejoined. If you feel the height is too low, as suggested by others, you just need to find a suitable prop to raise it. A lot of folk here have this type of scope so I am sure you will get loads of ideas for this.

The tripod, while it looks like THE way to mount a scope, is not that stable as compared to the Dobs base (unless you spend serious money)

• Thanks 1

On 03/09/2020 at 06:02, juda222000 said:

Thanks all, So maybe I need to change the telescope I'm going to get? I mean I'm 6ft tall lol and both my 5 year olds are 4 ft, I would have to carry a table around with me to put this on so me and my kids could look through this.

Not really following your line of reasoning on why you'd want to put the scope on a table.  You might want a table to put your star charts and eyepieces on, but not the telescope.  You will probably want to buy a stool or observing chair, though:

spacer.png

image.png
Standing to observe is not comfortable in the long term:

image.png

Here's the proper use of a table for astronomy:

spacer.png

There are plenty of fold-up/roll-up tables for camping if bulkiness is a concern:

spacer.png

spacer.png

And if the scope is still too low, put it on a stand of some sort:

spacer.png

Edited by Louis D