Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Tiffen Double Fog 3 Filter for constellation photography

Chefgage

A little project if mine is taking images of the constellations. I have tried various methods in GIMP post processing to make the constellation stars stand out against the other stars. But I am not really happy with the results. I have seen images using a Tiffen Double Fog 3 Filter which looks like what I am trying to achieve. Has any one used one of these filters and more importantly how did you fit it in the image train?

39 minutes ago, DaveS said:

I think such a filter would be the last thing any imager would put in their train given we all strive for the smallest, sharpest stars we can get with the highest contrast.

I get your point. If I was doing a nice wide field image then yes I would want pin point stars. But as a side project I am after emphasizing the constellation stars and from the looks of example images this filter should do the job.

Thing is, I doubt anyone here would use or have experience of such a filter, which sounds like something more cine oriented given that Tiffen are known for their cine filters, and a the various fog / pro-mist are more cine orientated.

Yep, just checked online.

Perhaps ask on a cine forum like DVXUser if it's still going, been years since I visited.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, DaveS said:

Thing is, I doubt anyone here would use or have experience of such a filter, which sounds like something more cine oriented given that Tiffen are known for their cine filters, and a the various fog / pro-mist are more cine orientated.

Yep, just checked online.

Perhaps ask on a cine forum like DVXUser if it's still going, been years since I visited.

Having a bit more of a read and seeing some examples on some photography blogs/forums I do like the look it gives.  Basically talked myself into buying one. Worth a try I believe 🙂.

I will of course post up my results, before and after.

Edited by Chefgage

The (rather old) free astrophotography tool IRIS has a function called SBLUR which is intended to highlight the brighter stars within an image. The same function is probably also available in the more recent SIRIL (since it's based on IRIS). Examples on how the brighter constellation stars can be enhanced to make the constellation easy to identify whilst still keeping the fainter stars sharp can be found at:

http://www.astrosurf.com/buil/iris/new414/new414_us.htm

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seelive said:

The (rather old) free astrophotography tool IRIS has a function called SBLUR which is intended to highlight the brighter stars within an image. The same function is probably also available in the more recent SIRIL (since it's based on IRIS). Examples on how the brighter constellation stars can be enhanced to make the constellation easy to identify whilst still keeping the fainter stars sharp can be found at:

http://www.astrosurf.com/buil/iris/new414/new414_us.htm

Thanks for that. I will have a read.