Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Vixen - modify 102M or switch to ED102SS?

Hello,

Hope this finds everyone safe & well. This is partly a quick report & partly a Q.

For a variety of reasons, I only finally had a chance to set up yesterday evening to look at Jupiter & Saturn.  Used a Vixen 102M achromat on a first-gen Porta mount.  Mostly with a 9mm Delite. It was delightful.  Have never seen Jupiter and the moons like that - could see at least 2 (maybe 3?) bands, but no GRS.  Saturn was also very nice to see - I think I could make out the Cassini division?  Goodness they move fast across the FOV.  Tried a 2.5x Powermate just for fun but couldn't really get it to work - at that magnification the focus needs to be perfect I think (which is difficult for me w a single-speed focuser), and the length of the 102M also means adjusting the focus manually wobbles things sufficiently that by the time its settled down, old Jove had flitted to the edge of the FOV again.  Especially as it was all just for a short while b/c I can only see them at that elevation for a short time in a gap between some houses and some trees 😒

So this got me thinking again of whether it would be worth trying to swap out the 102M focuser with a 2-speed focuser (maybe something that could also take a 2" diagonal).

And then I noticed that someone is selling a Vixen ED102SS on UKABS - that is shorter, and can take 2" diagonals (although I don't know if it is BVable - I can BV the 102M w a power mate, so I'm guessing the same should be fine with that).

And that leads me to some Qs:

1. Would it be worth switching the focuser on the 102M to a 2-speed one w a 2" diagonal?  Or at that focal length does that not really make a difference wrt image size (& so a 2-speed 1.25" diagonal would be better)?  For the stars the current single focuser works fine, so would this also just be "faffing about" 😆 w little marginal gain?

2. What would the difference in viewing be between the 102M and the ED102SS?  I know the form factor would be a bit easier w a shorter (but only slightly lighter) OTA.  But on the viewing itself?  I have to say I'm v impressed by the 102M - blacks are pitch black and stars are sharp.  I know the ED102SS will have a wider FOV.  Would that be that huge a difference?

Any thoughts from those w more experience would be v welcome!

Stay safe,

Vin

I've owned both scopes but there were many years between them so I never had a chance to compare them !

I've had the ED102SS for over 10 years now. I did notice some CA with my old Vixen 102M which is pretty much absent in the 102SS the latter being an ED doublet. The 102SS can show me a 4 degree true field which the F9.8 102M could not do of course and I think the 102SS is a touch better figured so it supports high magnifications just a touch better.

The 102SS does need some cool down time to give it's best images though and that caught me out to start with. 30 minutes or so seems to get the scope really on song.

The 102SS is not a scope you come across often - I've only seen a handful for sale in the years that I've had mine.

I'm very attached to the scope and it will not be going anywhere despite being joined by the superb Takahashi FC100-DL around 4 years ago.

Sorry I can't offer a direct comparison between the 102M and the 102SS but there were about 10 years between my ownership of them. I did enjoy the 102M when I had it though.

Don't assume that the 102SS is BV compatible. I don't BV myself but it would be worth checking carefully if you decide to go down that route.

• Thanks 1