NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Best OTA for AZ-GTI? Only visual

Nacho3G

Just ordered an AZ-GTI which will hold my 130p newt until I can get a C6 (that's the plan anyway). I asked Celestron to confirm the C6 weight and got this reply:

"The 10 lbs (4.54 kg) stated weight for a C6 OTA (model 91010-XLT) includes the finderscope, diagonal and eyepiece. The bare optical tube weight is approximately 9 lbs (~4.08 kg). There is no difference in weight for the Astro Fi, SE, or AVX versions, but differences in accessories can affect the effective weight."

Hth

Greg

• 3 weeks later...
On 30/08/2020 at 22:52, Gmx76 said:

Just ordered an AZ-GTI which will hold my 130p newt until I can get a C6 (that's the plan anyway). I asked Celestron to confirm the C6 weight and got this reply:

"The 10 lbs (4.54 kg) stated weight for a C6 OTA (model 91010-XLT) includes the finderscope, diagonal and eyepiece. The bare optical tube weight is approximately 9 lbs (~4.08 kg). There is no difference in weight for the Astro Fi, SE, or AVX versions, but differences in accessories can affect the effective weight."

Hth

Greg

Have you received the C6 yet? how has not been ? I am planning the same!

I suppose it depends what you mean by “best”. A lot of people on cloudy nights too, use an f7 100ed refractor. It’s at the top of the weight range, slightly above but shorter than a longer focal ratio tube. As long as you upgrade the tripod it’s a very versatile rig, speaking from experience. 

5 hours ago, Gmx76 said:

The Acent Starwave 102 also looks good for it. Going to be while off yet for me to upgrade scope but this also looks to be good and more compatible with my 290C camera. 

Yes indeed, that’s the one I’ve got and was referring to and it’s fine on this mount. Over in the States on Cloudy Nights the clone is the AT102ED which is very popular there.

50 minutes ago, robhatherton said:

Yes indeed, that’s the one I’ve got and was referring to and it’s fine on this mount. Over in the States on Cloudy Nights the clone is the AT102ED which is very popular there.

Are you imaging with it?

Well the op was only asking about visual use. I wouldnt expect the mount to be sturdy enough for photography although I do intend to have a go with my micro four thirds camera but I won’t be expecting too much! The Sky at Night magazine did comment on the scope’s performance for ap and was quite complimentary but that was with a beefier Mount.

• Like 1