Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Replacement primary mirror locking screws

I have an orion sky quest xt6. I need to replace the primary mirrors locking screws. Any idea where to purchase them?? Or is there something at a home improvement store I could use??

Thank you for reading and any suggestions you have.

Almost certainly they will be a standard metric thread.   Screws and bolts with a metric thread are very widely available at DIY stores or online.   If you’re not confident to buy replacements of the matching type you could take one of the screws from the scope to a shop to choose something suitable.

You’ll likely have to compromise on the cosmetics, replacements will probably have a hexagon head, or possibly take a cross head screwdriver.  A smarter finish would be an Allen key head ( internal hexagon ).

Easy to cut to length if required.

Ed.

• Like 1

The XT6 comes with knobs but it’s the small locking knob thats the problem. See if you can find some knurled head thumbscrews with hex socket like the one in the photo.so you could use a hex key to tighten.

F0421879-C650-4EA0-AE21-D9FBE22F0E65.jpeg

EF011F0F-4DCA-45CF-9829-F7C4570B7F78.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1