NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Focusing Issue

Hi all

This is probably one of the most basic questions you may have come across but I'm completely baffled.

I recently purchased a SW 130PDS which came with a 28mm eye piece and patiently waiting for a suitable mount to come into stock.

I decided to fiddle around and look through my scope, gently resting on the table and looking at the roof edge on the houses across from me. I tried focusing, looking through the eye piece and turning the focuser up and down and its always blurry.

When I pull my eye away from the eye piece about 3 inches, it seems to be in focus but as I get closer and put my eye on the eye piece, it gets blurry.

I decided to connect my Olympus OMD MII to double check and when I turned the camera on, the roofline is completely in focus following a slight adjistment.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Am I using the wrong eye piece? Below is the pic I took with the camera on the roof line.

Thank you

OI000032.jpg

This scope is meant to be ised with cameras, hence whey yoi can focus easily with the camera. To use eyepieces you need an extension tube as the EP will focus much further out. If you're looking at objects as close as across the road then you'll need a lot of extension to get focus with EP. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Maho said:

I decided to fiddle around and look through my scope, gently resting on the table and looking at the roof edge on the houses across from me. I tried focusing, looking through the eye piece and turning the focuser up and down and its always blurry.

Try objects that are further away. Hope the mount comes soon 🙂

• Like 1

Note where the focal plane of the camera (sometimes marked with a line through a circle on the side of the camera body) is relative to the top of the focuser when it is in focus.  This is approximately the distance the shoulder of the eyepiece (where the insertion barrel meets the upper barrel) needs to be to reach focus.

• Like 1