NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Can't reach focus

Pryce

So I've recently bought a SW 150p Newtonian and I've been just trying to get a hold of how stuff works.
I have a barlow and a T2 adapter, but I can't seem to reach focus with it at all. (Unless I've used a 10mm inside of the barlow)

I've tried with and without the glass in the barlow as well as with both my 550D cameras and the 1000D.  

What am I doing wrong here?

If its not the PDS model you may have issues getting the camera far enough inwards to focusas DSLRs focus much further inwards then eyepieces, but using a barlow lens usually moves the focus point outwards enough to get focus with the camera. 

What are you trying to look at? In the daytime you need ro be aiming at something very far, > 1km away preferably 

A common problem which is SW make the 150P-DS with a shorter tube which moves the primary mirror nearer the secondary to achieve focus with a DSLR.

You can move the mirror yourself with a bit of DIY.

Dave

I think that 2 inch nose piece you linked to will get you a bit more in focus travel, but I'm not sure if it'll be enough. The reason skywatcher made the PDS version is because the original explorer P is made for visual observing and won't normally focus with DSLRs without modifications (usually moving the mirror up the tube or fitting a lower profile focuser) 

11 minutes ago, CraigT82 said:

I think that 2 inch nose piece you linked to will get you a bit more in focus travel, but I'm not sure if it'll be enough. The reason skywatcher made the PDS version is because the original explorer P is made for visual observing and won't normally focus with DSLRs without modifications (usually moving the mirror up the tube or fitting a lower profile focuser) 

I see!  Thank you! 

So getting the Dual-Speed focuser to replace the one I already have could be a solution? Or is there some other differences to the tube itself as well?

It seems that my best(and most logical) option is to upgrade with a Dual-Speed focuser instead of modding.  I'm still fairly new and I made the mistake of wanting to "learn the ropes" with visual before venturing into imaging.  Buuuuuuuut I tried taking a few of the moon with my refractor and well.. I'm all in now.

So I guess for now my standing plan is to upgrade my 150P with this (as far as I can tell that's the same focuser as the P-DS reflectors?) and this. And possible a guiding scope/cam?

Yes, I'm fully aware that the EQ3-2 mount is considered too unstable for astrophotography, but unfortunately it's what I have until I'm able to save up for a EQ6.  But hey, I've seen some great images coming from EQ3-2 setups, so at least I'll be able to get started.

For now I'll just have go with my original plan of learning the ropes until upgrades can be made.

Edit; actually, I might as well just buy another OTA.  Like the 130P-DS as it's lighter and the EQ3-2 with a motor would probably like that better than a 150P-DS with a camera

Edited by Pryce