NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Which OAG for my Newtonian

Craig a

After reading various threads regarding guiding a long fl Newtonian and OAG is the best way to go and to be honest I could do with shedding the weight of the guidescope and rings from my rig, my imaging scope is a skywatcher Quattro 10cf with a fl of 1000mm and I’m hoping to buy an asi533 Mc pro in a couple of weeks but I’ve looked around for OAG and there’s tons to choose from,  please bear in mind I have to use a coma corrector with M48 thread, would the skywatcher OAG be a good choice? Also would the OAG fit directly to the coma corrector? Or does it have to be fitted to the camera and add spacers between the OAG and coma corrector? My guide cam is the Orion star shoot, Coming from using guidescope it’s abit confusing for me 

Edited by Craig a

Im not really familiar with the scope/cam combo.   Although when i used my dslr on an 8” quattro, the oag needed to be as thin as possible    So my guess is, go for the 9mm.  

I was lucky to have a thin eos/t-ring.  My combo was (without a comacorrector) a 16mm oag, thin eos adapter, dslr.  

its probably worthless info but the 9mm oag advice was useful!!

Edited by Robindonne

Thank you for your reply not worthless at all, my coma corrector needs 55mm of back focus and is m48 male thread, I’ve looked at the zwo OAG and with that I would just need a 20mm spacer but I’m not sure I like the way the camera adapter uses the 3 thumb screws to hold the cam in the OAG surely that’s asking for trouble if it’s not a screw fit

Hi Craig

The non-filter carousal version of the ZWO OAG has M threads on all three interfaces once the 1.25" guidecam adapter is unscrewed from the periscope.

The three screws are to hold the Image Camera Interface in the OAG body, and can be tightened and forgotten about.

They allow the adapter to be positioned in 3 positions 120 degrees apart.

It's a large version of the camera-specific adapter in the T ring, and no more wobbly than those three tiny setscrews in the T Ring.

You can buy identical no-name OAGs for less than the ZWO one.