Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Problems using the Equatorial alignment with my celestron 6E with wedge

IanK_

So I tried using the celestron wedge with my 6E to try and increase exposure times without star trails. The mount is level with the base pointing north, I use the EQ north alignment, get my 2 stars, the alignment goes through, and then I try the polar align from there. I polar aligned it to one of the stars I used to EQ align. Im not sure if you are supposed to choose a different star or if you can use one of the same stars. However, star trails will show up literally with in 10 seconds, worse than just using the normal alt az. I'm pretty sure I have the lat right, there really isn't an indicator to know what lat you are at, but is there any reason why the alignment would be successful yet the tracking would be utterly terrible and unable to track for literally 10 seconds without very noticeable and long startrails, while the alt az version is at least able to do it for 40 seconds. Is there something I am doing wrong for the tracking to be that bad? Anyone have experience with this mount?

1 hour ago, IanK_ said:

So I tried using the celestron wedge with my 6E to try and increase exposure times without star trails. The mount is level with the base pointing north, I use the EQ north alignment, get my 2 stars, the alignment goes through, and then I try the polar align from there. I polar aligned it to one of the stars I used to EQ align. Im not sure if you are supposed to choose a different star or if you can use one of the same stars. However, star trails will show up literally with in 10 seconds, worse than just using the normal alt az. I'm pretty sure I have the lat right, there really isn't an indicator to know what lat you are at, but is there any reason why the alignment would be successful yet the tracking would be utterly terrible and unable to track for literally 10 seconds without very noticeable and long startrails, while the alt az version is at least able to do it for 40 seconds. Is there something I am doing wrong for the tracking to be that bad? Anyone have experience with this mount?

You should be doing your polar alignment first, then theEQ north alighnment. If you haven't checked already, it is instructions on P17 then P15 of the NexStar 6SE and 8SE Manual manual on the Celestron website

Edited by Shimrod

I assume you refer to the C6 SE + wedge.  I hope you are not expecting too much of this setup.  The C6 SE is a visual scope outfit, and if you manage to image anything with it, that is a bonus.  I have the same 6/8 SE mount and IMHO it is not good enough for any serious imaging - too much backlash and wobble.

A lot of people try to put these fork mount SCTs on a wedge with great hopes and a while later give up and buy a proper Equatorial mount.  It has also been said in this Forum that the reason used SCTs are often available at a deep discount is that people buy them for deep sky imaging and then find they are not really suitable for this role.