NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher Evostar 90 eq-2 vs Explorer Scientific Ar102 Exos Nano eq Mount vs Bresser 102/1350

Hi I’m looking for my first scope, I have found 3 scopes that I have carefully selected. I am interested mainly in Planetary views but BSO would be a nice bonus as well so that’s why they are all refractors. The first is the Skywatcher Evostar 90mm eq refractor which only costs 155 pounds. The next is the ar102 exos nano eq 200 pounds plus shipping. The last is only an OTA, the Bresser messier 102/1350 refractor (if only it came with a mount) I have heard that the Bresser has as a bad lens cell (idk what this means rly) and I want to know if they have fixed this issue.

Thanks For Your Time!

Edited by Refractor4life

I have an Evo 90, nice starting scope and reviewed it some years back, I’ll send you a pm with the link to that.  Whilst the scope itself is good on the Moon, I think you’ll need more aperture for planets.  The mount that comes with it is wobbly at high power and focusing precisely is tiresome due to the wobbles. For that reason I mount mine on an EQ5 when I can...with the Evo being so light, this changes the game considerably for the better.  The Evo for me performs really well on the Moon as mentioned, good views (with some chromatic aberration granted).  But it’s lacking slightly on planets due to the 90mm aperture, 100mm would be better... 

If I were you, the 102/1350 will give better views. There is more aperture, you will start to see good detail on Jupiter for example, as oppose to thinking “did I?”....the longer focal length will also make focusing easier.  You will however want an EQ5 or the Bresser equivalent as a minimum, that long tube will amplify any slight breeze and shake your view otherwise.

Welcome to planet observing, it’s a fascinating pastime.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Alkaid said:

I have an Evo 90, nice starting scope and reviewed it some years back, I’ll send you a pm with the link to that.  Whilst the scope itself is good on the Moon, I think you’ll need more aperture for planets.  The mount that comes with it is wobbly at high power and focusing precisely is tiresome due to the wobbles. For that reason I mount mine on an EQ5 when I can...with the Evo being so light, this changes the game considerably for the better.  The Evo for me performs really well on the Moon as mentioned, good views (with some chromatic aberration granted).  But it’s lacking slightly on planets due to the 90mm aperture, 100mm would be better... 

If I were you, the 102/1350 will give better views. There is more aperture, you will start to see good detail on Jupiter for example, as oppose to thinking “did I?”....the longer focal length will also make focusing easier.  You will however want an EQ5 or the Bresser equivalent as a minimum, that long tube will amplify any slight breeze and shake your view otherwise.

Welcome to planet observing, it’s a fascinating pastime.

So you think that there is a significant difference in quality between the two telescopes. There is also a 6inch dob that I’m eyeing but it doesn’t have tracking.6 inch Tabletop costs 199, dob mount costs 219 and on eq3-2 319 pounds.

Just now, Refractor4life said:

.... There is also a 6inch dob that I’m eyeing but it doesn’t have tracking.6 inch Tabletop costs 199, dob mount costs 219 and on eq3-2 319 pounds.

You might need to change your forum ID but the 6 inch dob is an excellent scope. I would have an F/8 one over either a 90mm or 102mm F/10 achromatic refractor.

Same here...

I was wondering if the dob mentioned is a longer FL model or a short F5 type.  If it’s the long one... it will be better on planets than either refractor...you do lose tracking but the view should make up for that...

The dobsonian is 1200mm focal length made from skywatcher. The heritage 150p is the tabletop. The mounted one is 150pl eq3-2 1200mm focal length.

ps: I will terminate this account to change my name coz I don’t know how.(life of a noob)

Edited by Refractor4life

Also isn’t collimating,cleaning and cooking an issue or is it worth it. I was told that a 90mm refractor could compete with a 6inch reflector lol.

ps I appreciate everyone’s opinion. 

Edited by Refractor4life

Okay. You definitely want the longer 1200mm fl tube.  I’ve had one, it’s very good.

If you might perhaps  do 50:50 solar system / deep sky then get the dob.  You’ll be able to swing it about the sky at leisure.  But planets will move out of the view in about 10 seconds at high power.  You have to keep nudging the scope to track.

If it’s 100% solar system, you will want tracking...the EQ3 that comes with the mounted version is possibly also a little wobbly with that sized tube. I had mine on the EQ5 with tracking and it was just about acceptable.  But no nudging...planet stays in centre of view...more detail seen.

8 minutes ago, Refractor4life said:

Also isn’t collimating,cleaning and cooking an issue or is it worth it. I was told that a 90mm refractor could compete with a 6inch reflector lol.

ps I appreciate everyone’s opinion. 

Collimating is easy, just takes getting to know.  Never clean the mirror. No...a 90 can’t compete with a 6” for visual use.

I have decided that I will by the dobsonian Mount. The eq is a bit  to expensive for a first scope and I can always upgrade later if I need too. And the dob is stable and good. I will now learn the ways of the nudging masters.

Also, alkaid what telescopes do you own.

Edited by Nair al Saif

25 minutes ago, Refractor4life said:

Last time I’m gonna use this account, 6inch it is soon.

i meant cooling not cooking lol

One of the admins will need to close this account down now. You are only allowed one.

I have asked them to do that.

22 minutes ago, Nair al Saif said:

Also, alkaid what telescopes do you own.

Just three now. Nothing major or top end.   One Evo 90, one Startravel 102 and one Celestron C8.

The C8’s my main scope. I’m a moon man mainly and love my C8.   I tend to use the Startravel on holiday, goes on the parcel shelf beautifully and is nicely compact.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alkaid said:

Just three now. Nothing major or top end.   One Evo 90, one Startravel 102 and one Celestron C8.

The C8’s my main scope. I’m a moon man mainly and love my C8.   I tend to use the Startravel on holiday, goes on the parcel shelf beautifully and is nicely compact.

Ahh, so you have experience I think soon I shall soon pair a 90mm refractor then a 6 inch dob soon. Then I will rest.

Edited by Nair al Saif

17 minutes ago, Nair al Saif said:

Is this vid accurate?

The details shown of the planets are about right for an experienced observer under good conditions but the size of the planets as they will appear in the eyepiece is way over stated. They will be much, much smaller than this. More like this:

jupiter.jpg.dc29ec5c8a135920dc8b306fea6ece63.jpg

saturn.jpg.8389eae8a5ca40b3c00229258ce307bf.jpg

Also, you can see quite a lot of deep sky objects with 80mm - 150mm scopes. Lots of them will appear small and fuzzy but that is also the case with larger scopes.

5 minutes ago, John said:

The details shown of the planets are about right for an experienced observer under good conditions but the size of the planets as they will appear in the eyepiece is way over stated. They will be much, much smaller than this. More like this:

jupiter.jpg.dc29ec5c8a135920dc8b306fea6ece63.jpg

saturn.jpg.8389eae8a5ca40b3c00229258ce307bf.jpg

Also, you can see quite a lot of deep sky objects with 80mm - 150mm scopes. Lots of them will appear small and fuzzy but that is also the case with larger scopes.

So, in both regards the 90mm performs roughly similar. The detail will vary but they are both tiny ok!

Edited by Nair al Saif

As you gain experience you will see a little more detail with the 150mm and the larger scope will show deep sky objects better because it gathers more light. Not very large differences but they will be there, a bit more so on deep sky objects, as you become used to observing.

2 minutes ago, John said:

As you gain experience you will see a little more detail with the 150mm and the larger scope will show deep sky objects better because it gathers more light. Not very large differences but they will be there as you become used to observing.

So I think I will buy the 90mm frac and then maybe buy a 8 inch dob or a Maksutov a couple years from now when I become adjusted.