NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

ngc7129

alacant

Hi everyone

This time in Cepheus, we found another reflection nebula and this one too stood up well to the gibbous moon. They always seem noisy around the edges though. Not for want of time I don't think as this was 2 1/2 hours. I would have thought that that was sufficient to lose any noise. Alas, my patience whilst processing this stuff is not of the highest degree; half an hour and I've had enough. Or maybe it was the moon's influence? The histogram was moving more to the centre as the moon got brighter and we reduced from 4 minutes to 3 minutes in an attempt to compensate. In fact, so long as the histogram remains left of centre, I'm not convinced it makes much difference. Anyone?

Thanks for looking and do post if you've had a go at this or found any other blue nebulae. They seem few compared to the red type.

eos700d onES  pn208

492931847_2-7129(copy)a.thumb.jpg.a969d9be44004125c5ec8b18ce73aaf1.jpg

Edited by alacant
  • Like 6

Yes whenever someone posts an image that I have not seen below I go looking in my sky atlas. I found NGC 7129 in Uranometria plus the cluster NGC 7142 which is nicely shown in your image. I think NGC 7133 is separated from NGC 7129 by a dark lane.

In the Interstellarum deep sky guide on page 8b there is a sketch of NGC 7129 using a 14" scope at 200x.

So really pleased that you posted this image I must have a go at trying to find this reflection neb in my 12" Dob.

Sorry should have said - great image

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

NGC 7129 using a 14" scope at 200x.

Hi

Whilst imaging, I had a look using a 6" refractor which despite being longer focus, seemed to give a wider fov. probably because it's a circle rather than a small sensor [1]. We saw nothing apart from a faint averted vision glimpse of the cluster at 10-o'clock with the central stars and the brighter cluster at 7 o'clock the only definite sightings, made no easier due to the lateral inversion between the two telescopes. No sign of any nebula.  With 12" you stand a lot more chance I think.

I'm not much good on numbering, but here's the plate solve.

HTH and do post back if you manage to grab it.

[1] **EDIT. Yeah, of course. It depends on the eyepiece. DUH!

4460620.thumb.jpeg.2a2e969060f48f00ebfc3abb760eb6a6.jpeg

Edited by alacant
  • Like 1