NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Safari on Mac performance

Tenor Viol

Over recent days I've had very poor performance with Safari which is the Apple browser on Macs. Some pages hang when loading and at other times it takes a long time to get anywhere.

I don't really have any add-ons in use and I've both reset my router and re-booted (several times) and no improvement. I've checked by broadband speed. It was slower than usual yesterday at about half of what it should be: the fastest speed available round here is about 35mbs and that's what I get, I got 18mbs yesterday. Today it tested OK.

I've downloaded and installed Firefox and at the moment it is much faster...

I would note that recently my Mac is running warm. I've run scans on it and I even re-loaded the OS a few weeks ago but no change.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Edited by Tenor Viol

I often get Safari tabs being reported as "this site is degrading performance" (or something like that) - quite often Facebook but a few others too.

I was getting a MacOS crash, which seemed to be happening when switching from one tab to another - but it was not clear if that was the cause or not.

I switched ti Chrome for a while, but having to re-enter site passwords was a pain, and Chrome has this lazy page loading which is annoying. 

I found an article about McOS crashes which poked a finger at Energy Saver | Enable Power Nap - switched that off and no more crashes.  Still sometimes get slow Safari tabs though.

I'm not sure it is much worse or better than 6 months ago though...

I presume you are on the latest release of Catalina?

Sorry - not much help I know...

/callump

10 minutes ago, callump said:

I often get Safari tabs being reported as "this site is degrading performance" (or something like that) - quite often Facebook but a few others too.

I was getting a MacOS crash, which seemed to be happening when switching from one tab to another - but it was not clear if that was the cause or not.

I switched ti Chrome for a while, but having to re-enter site passwords was a pain, and Chrome has this lazy page loading which is annoying. 

I found an article about McOS crashes which poked a finger at Energy Saver | Enable Power Nap - switched that off and no more crashes.  Still sometimes get slow Safari tabs though.

I'm not sure it is much worse or better than 6 months ago though...

I presume you are on the latest release of Catalina?

Sorry - not much help I know...

/callump

Hi - yes most recent OS and up-to-date. I've had a lot of crashes too. I'll have a look at Energy Saver. And agreed - I don't want to input passwords all over the place....

1 hour ago, Tenor Viol said:

Over recent days I've had very poor performance with Safari which is the Apple browser on Macs. Some pages hang when loading and at other times it takes a long time to get anywhere.

I don't really have any add-ons in use and I've both reset my router and re-booted (several times) and no improvement. I've checked by broadband speed. It was slower than usual yesterday at about half of what it should be: the fastest speed available round here is about 35mbs and that's what I get, I got 18mbs yesterday. Today it tested OK.

I've downloaded and installed Firefox and at the moment it is much faster...

I would note that recently my Mac is running warm. I've run scans on it and I even re-loaded the OS a few weeks ago but no change.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Had similar issues with my mac replaced the mechanical Hdd with solid state. Runs like new and it's 11 years old.

Clear browser history and cookies, might help a little but basically the older the system is and the more updates that get installed the slower it will run.

My iMac often wont wake from sleep, still not sure if it's properly sorted.