Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Second light with WO Binoviewer's.

Mick H

This is my second light with my new William Optics Binoviewer's.

Second because I only spent an hour setting them up viewing the Moon the first night, which was a wow factor.

I had read that a lot people had trouble with inter pupilary distance (ie could not merge the image into one), this was not a problem for myself as I had viewed in binoculars day/night many times.

Anyway the WO Binoviewer's are well made and came with two Swan 20mm 72° eyepieces, 1x6 Barlow, and a nice box with foam for storing.

Last night was perfect viewing and I was setup early.

After doing Auto Alignment using Starsence on my NexStar 8se I checked alignment on Arcturus which was dead centre, using two 32mm Omni Plossl's. 

I then pressed the Deep Sky button on the hand control and went for Messier Objects, and chose M13 which was in view.

Had a good evening studying  M31, M27, M57, M81/82, and NGC 869 and 884 (Double Cluster).

It was a pleasure to just sit there viewing with both eyes, I seemed to relax and stare longer than Mono viewing.

Sadly Jupiter and Saturn can not be seen from my position yet, as I have a big (swear word) grey shed in the way.

I cannot wait until next month when they will be in view.

I have ordered a Baader T2 diagonal and adapter for SCT, but I need a T2-M26 male thread only available in the USA so I can remove the WO nose piece. This will give me shorter light path, reduced weight, and Direct connect to telescope port via the T-2 to SCT adapter (see pic)

WO.png.410a36e7d1eefaec100afa35c8c0da95.png

I am pleased with the binoviewer's but.....................

If only William Optics supplied this nose piece adapter.

I wished I had gone with the Baader MaxBright II Binoviewer which would of made life easier.

Oh Well.

If you got this far thanks for reading.

Edited by Mick H
  • Like 6

5 hours ago, WestCoastCannuck said:

Yep.  Binoviewing is awesome.  I mostly view the moon....

Agree Mike, I failed to mention I could not fit the whole of the Moon in my 32mm Omni Plossl eyepieces.

Hopefully when I receive the Baader T2 prism diagonal with SCT adapter that will shorten the light path a bit. 

18 hours ago, Mick H said:

Agree Mike, I failed to mention I could not fit the whole of the Moon in my 32mm Omni Plossl eyepieces.

Hopefully when I receive the Baader T2 prism diagonal with SCT adapter that will shorten the light path a bit. 

That is a 8 inch SCT?  2000mm  lol ...  yeah, you want to lose the corrector for sure for the moon.  I have the Baader T2 Prism as well, and I can reach focus without a corrector on my 120 ED (900mm FL).   I get a frame filling full disc view of the moon with my 14.5MM  55 degree Orions - no need to go to the 32's.  :)   You may very well need an F6.3 reducer/corrector to see the whole moon viewing with your 8 inch.

Edited by WestCoastCannuck