NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Balancing an IOptron CEM70

2 hours ago, Richie092 said:

Edited as I can see you have it fixed with the metal bracket, how is it rotating?

The focuser has given me more headaches than the rest of the system combined... including the RPi4 and Stellarmate that was as familiar as alien technology to me.

This was a schoolboy error on my part. I didn’t realise that the whole focussing unit didn’t just rotate freely by that it was just loosely fastened. I just needed to tighten it up on the threads. 

39 minutes ago, Anne S said:

I was looking at getting that counterbalance system but it looks as if it only fits Losmandy. I was planning on keeping my 70edt on a vixen bar.

The one I have (ADM) fits both, Anne.

7 hours ago, Anne S said:

I've only found this one - ADM Dovetail Side Mounting Counterweight Kit 'D' Series.

Ah.  Maybe my side weight is D type only.  I have a couple and the normal one here is definitely dual, but I thought the side one was too.  Maybe it isn't 😐

All, thanks for all your help. I managed to get the scope balanced. I had to buy 2 x 2.5kg counter balance weights As the weight provided was way too heavy.  I also installed a 300mm long losmandy plate which has allowed me to install the asi air pro in front of the scope and adjust is location (left to right) to balance in the 3rd axis  

Trouble is I now can’t see a single star through my camera. I will have to start another thread on that!

Thanks again. 

54B43470-F716-4ABE-85E3-18C5A7AB7775.jpeg