NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

EQ5 Mount - Upgrade

Hi everyone, 

Stupid question alert!

Could you please advise the following:

If I purchased the SW EQ5 Deluxe mount (without GoTo) in the below link, would I be able to upgrade it at a later date to a GoTo mount using the kit in the second link?

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-eq5-deluxe.html

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-mount-accessories/synscan-pro-goto-version-3-upgrade-kit-for-eq5.html

Furthermore, how hard is the upgrade, and will the upgrade essentially make that particular mount the same as the EQ5 GoTo package as sold on FLO?

Thanks!

Maho

FLO would confirm if asked, but quite likely it should fit. I've the older EQ5's (black) and transferred the Synscan kit from one EQ5 to the other not that long ago. Not difficult, the hardest part is getting the gears correctly set and aligned on the SloMo shafts so that they mesh well and run smooth. Not a quiet rig but does work pretty well. You want to make sure the mount runs smooth on both axes before fitting though, else that'll affect its accuracy and if there's a lot of resistance at points in the axle can result in gears jumping which sounds dreadful and won't be good for the drive gears. That's the reason I transferred mine as the GoTo mound was bought used and wasn't running well because of non-smooth RA axle.

• Thanks 1

I upgraded a used EQ5 I bought a while ago with a Synscan kit I bought earlier this year.  I did not have any problems, except that the fitting instructions are a bit vague. I had to search online for more detail of part of the process.  The result should be the same as the GoTo version of the mount.  If you want to save money, used EQ5 Synscans come up for sale from time to time.

• Thanks 1

EQ5 was my first mount and i bought the goto kit a month or so later. I didnt know anything about anything and used a couple of hours setting it up. I think you will do just fine! 
The EQ 5 with this kit = EQ 5 Pro Synscan Goto