Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Cepheus wide-field

Hello,

Went back to Cepheus last night w a Pentax lens at about 70mm f/l & and ASI294MCPro mounted on a little iOptron Skyguider Pro.

The number of objects up there!  I figured I wouldn't downsample these two images (one annotated, one not) in case they don't come through.  I'm not quite sure what the purple glow in the top left hand corner is - although the moon was fully blazing so maybe that's it?  (I did have CLS-CCD & UHC filters in but maybe they don't block moonlight that well?).

Definitely spending more time on this part of the sky when I'm back home w the 4" frac!

Cheers,

Vin

Cepheus_200802_annotated.png

Cepheus_200802.png

• Like 3

Yes it was.  I'm using this.  The good thing about that is that you can also put filters into that.  I had to take the little 5mm ring off that to find focus w the 294.  I have Pentax lenses so put a little Penax K-mount to Canon adapter ring at the front of that ZWO adapter, mount the lens on that - take the 5mm ring off and thread the whole thing onto the 294 & job done.

When I look closely at the corners of the images there is curvature, but I don't know yet whether that's b/c of the lens, or flexure (I didn't support the lens with its own ring) or whether I need to add some spacers.  Will experiment a bit with that.

Its a great & v light travel combination w an iOptron skyguider pro (no need for counterweight).  Its going to be standard holiday kit for me from now!

Cheers

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vineyard said:

Yes it was.  I'm using this.  The good thing about that is that you can also put filters into that.  I had to take the little 5mm ring off that to find focus w the 294.  I have Pentax lenses so put a little Penax K-mount to Canon adapter ring at the front of that ZWO adapter, mount the lens on that - take the 5mm ring off and thread the whole thing onto the 294 & job done.

When I look closely at the corners of the images there is curvature, but I don't know yet whether that's b/c of the lens, or flexure (I didn't support the lens with its own ring) or whether I need to add some spacers.  Will experiment a bit with that.

Its a great & v light travel combination w an iOptron skyguider pro (no need for counterweight).  Its going to be standard holiday kit for me from now!

Cheers

Thanks for the info. That's the same adaptor I've got on order with FLO.  Just got to wait 2 weeks for it to arrive!

I think the 5mm ring is for the smaller cameras like the ASI120, which I may also use as a guidescope.

Clear skies!

Tony.

• Like 1