NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Anyone using the ZWO ASIair (old version)?

Hi folks,

Yes, I'm behind the times - I gather the new (pro) version is out now, and people may have switched out the old ASIair for the new, but was wondering if anyone had experience with the older model?

I have the opportunity to pick one up second hand to help with guiding (with an ASI120mm mini) of either a Star Adventurer or the HEQ5.  I’ve had a look around online, but can't find the answer to a couple of questions…

1)      Does the old version of the ASIair power your DSLR?  I’m assuming the DSLR still needs a battery as usual, but it would be a bonus if the ‘air’ powered it!

2)      I gather there were updates to the ‘air’ since it came out, so that you can now polar align with it too.  Have people found this feature to be reliable?

3)      Finally, I gather there’s an auto-stretch feature.  Does that work with DSLRs (if attached by the appropriate cable, presumably) or just ZWO ASI cameras?

Many thanks for any information you can offer!

Derek

I use one and I am very pleased with it.

3 hours ago, Delboy_Hog said:

Does the old version of the ASIair power your DSLR?

I don't use a dslr but that said there are no power out sockets on the ASIair other than via the usb sockets. My dslr requires 7.2 volts - not what you'd normally expect in the 12V/5V astro world.

I gather there were updates to the ‘air’ since it came out, so that you can now polar align with it too.

It does and as far as I can tell on the occasions I have used it, it works pretty well. Having said that I use a PoleMaster and that definitely works well.

Finally, I gather there’s an auto-stretch feature.  Does that work with DSLRs

There is an auto stretch and I can't see why it wouldn't work with a dslr.

The ASIair has transformed my imaging experience when used with a ZWO ASI1600, EAF and EAW on an iOptron mount all controlled from an iPad running SkySafari and the ASIair app. I love it!

• Like 1

Hi folks,

Yes, I'm behind the times - I gather the new (pro) version is out now, and people may have switched out the old ASIair for the new, but was wondering if anyone had experience with the older model?

I have the opportunity to pick one up second hand to help with guiding (with an ASI120mm mini) of either a Star Adventurer or the HEQ5.  I’ve had a look around online, but can't find the answer to a couple of questions…

1)      Does the old version of the ASIair power your DSLR?  I’m assuming the DSLR still needs a battery as usual, but it would be a bonus if the ‘air’ powered it!

2)      I gather there were updates to the ‘air’ since it came out, so that you can now polar align with it too.  Have people found this feature to be reliable?

3)      Finally, I gather there’s an auto-stretch feature.  Does that work with DSLRs (if attached by the appropriate cable, presumably) or just ZWO ASI cameras?

Many thanks for any information you can offer!

Derek

You could probably do all that with a Raspberry PI and Ekos/Indi (which is almost what the ASIAir is anyway!).  If you've got a Raspberry PI kicking around it's quite easy to try it out.

Take a look at Astroberry as a starter.  https://www.astroberry.io/

I used to run my mount, guide cam and DSLR (Nikon) on mine and now its running most of the same but the DSLR is replaced with a focuser, filter wheel and ASI1600 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Adreneline said:

I use one and I am very pleased with it.

I don't use a dslr but that said there are no power out sockets on the ASIair other than via the usb sockets. My dslr requires 7.2 volts - not what you'd normally expect in the 12V/5V astro world.

It does and as far as I can tell on the occasions I have used it, it works pretty well. Having said that I use a PoleMaster and that definitely works well.

There is an auto stretch and I can't see why it wouldn't work with a dslr.

The ASIair has transformed my imaging experience when used with a ZWO ASI1600, EAF and EAW on an iOptron mount all controlled from an iPad running SkySafari and the ASIair app. I love it!

Thanks Adreneline, that's really helpful.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jiberjaber said:

You could probably do all that with a Raspberry PI and Ekos/Indi (which is almost what the ASIAir is anyway!).  If you've got a Raspberry PI kicking around it's quite easy to try it out.

Take a look at Astroberry as a starter.  https://www.astroberry.io/

I used to run my mount, guide cam and DSLR (Nikon) on mine and now its running most of the same but the DSLR is replaced with a focuser, filter wheel and ASI1600 

Thanks Jason!  I don't have a PI, unfortunately, and I'm not terribly tech-savvy, though I'm quite intrigued.  I think it'd take me so long to figure out what I was doing I'd be better off just paying for the version that someone else has already done! 🙂