Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Fuzzy side on Mars

Goodmorning.   I have an issue what might be related to collimation but i’m not sure.   

The last two nights i aimed mij c8 on Mars. Let it cool for an hour+ but the results were disappointing.   The view was 50/50.   One half of Mars was blurred   Not only blurred/fuzzy, but a vague blurred area around the planet.   Is this caused by a bad collimation, or does it need more cooling?  Its not there when using a refractor.  

Last two nights i didnt manage to let it cool much longer because some foam squared thing in my bedroom was calling for me.

Also didn’t notice it when looking at other planets or the moon.  

Edited by Robindonne

I could be wrong but if you look at recent images of Mars it appears to have a phase ... its being side illuminated as it's so far after sunset, a bit like a 3/4 Moon.

Might be what you're seeing.

Edited by knobby
  • Thanks 1

Thx for this quick help.   Yes you are right.   Thats what i see when i use a refractor.   But then quite sharp.   The c8 however shows something like a “tail” of blurring on one half of Mars.   It might be a coincidence but it was also acting like a tail.  When Mars moved out of my eyepiece, this (half planet) tail followed it. I tried to zoom out/in to have a quick check on collimation, but no noticeable size difference of that donut.  Do i maybe need to collimate more precisely?

10 hours ago, knobby said:

Oooh, I'd check collimation first then. Looks very weird.

Thx.  I will give it a try.   I did find another tread today here that talked about tube currents.    But first the more precise collimation.  Thx very much

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Robindonne said:

Something like this.   It’s not really a clone of what i saw last night, but it’s close.   The right half was more fuzzy then this image.   No matter what I tried.  It kept this vague area.  

DDEE0660-D0EC-4C1E-BBDE-9EF0481BD9D5.jpeg

This might not be related to the issue here, but good to mention that summer dust storms are starting ahead of the Mars Opposition. 

Edited by Dippy