NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Lodestar X2 & SW Evoguide 50ED Focus

groberts

Can anyone using this combination tell me what extension is necessary to obtain focus and what you used?

I tried this out tonight and can see that focus will only be achieved some distance behind the current scope tube - probably a few centimetres.

Graham

I dont have the same setup any more but from memory I needed about 80mm extension.

I made a temporary extension tube out of the cardboard tube from a toilet roll and sticky tape to find out how much extension I needed. 😉 

Thanks David - a toilet roll, now that's the sort of technology I like, will give it a try. 

If I may also ask: 

1. I presume 80mm is the drawtube that comes with the guidescope (approx 40mm) plus an extension tube then?
  2. Do you happen to know what the size and type of threads (make & female) are for the extension tube?
  3. What did you make of the Evoguide + Lodestar x2 combination? I already use a Lodestar  x2 on another rig and find it to be an excellent guidescope.

Graham 

Graham

1 hour ago, groberts said:

If I may also ask: 

1. I presume 80mm is the drawtube that comes with the guidescope (approx 40mm) plus an extension tube then?
  2. Do you happen to know what the size and type of threads (make & female) are for the extension tube?
  3. What did you make of the Evoguide + Lodestar x2 combination? I already use a Lodestar  x2 on another rig and find it to be an excellent guidescope.

Yes

Again from memory the threads are T2 - it will say on FLO's website - I popped a Baader click lock on the end and got rough focus by sliding the camera in and out then locked it up and used the fine focuser on the scope to nail it down - never neded to adjust it again after that.

It was an outstanding combo - I still use the Lodestar but now its on an ED72 and even more outstanding!! Lets my mount run happily at around 0.2 arc seconds total RMS in decent seeing.

This is what I am using.....

1677551862_IMG_39922.thumb.jpg.c2c10ae4d6ea3934521b2b901f7ff301.jpg

Cannot remember what the Evo50 came with, and what I have added.  That bit that the X2 is sat in looks like a reclaimed  eyepiece holder.

Anyway... it works.... and rather well too.

Sean

• Like 1