NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Recommend me an LP clip filter

For my Canon 6D please. I had my hopes up on receiving an IDAS D2 clip filter but they are proving difficult to source. Maybe they are discontinued?

I know the stalwart Astronomik CLS CCD is readily available as an XL size but what other options are there? Optolong? Skytech? I'm looking for a normal LP filter BTW, not one of the OSC narrowband type. Your musings please folks.

Unless you have a full spectrum modification you can also opt for the Astronimik CLS EOS XL (non-CCD version).

My Canon 6D has both the front filter intact as well as a Baader filter replacement and as such I picked up an Astronomik CLS EOS XL filter for a bargain on ABS. To be honest I don't use it often as I almost always image from the in-laws whose LP is way, way less than where I live and I also image with the Canon 500mm f/4 L IS lens with which I use a Hutech IDAS 52mm filter in the filter drawer.

It is worrying that the trend it to discontinue the full-frame filters.

I have the optolong cls ccd for my 6d and it works OK for emission targets but it shadows the sensor badly, and adds a significant colour cast. If my target isn't an emission one I don't bother with a filter.

Example of an image taken with the optolong cls ccd and an unmodified 6d:

https://www.astrobin.com/395573/C/?_ga=2.240630720.2136164123.1596574169-711546074.1586286072&nc=user