NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Too many Hot Pixels?

smr

Hi,

Just took some dark frames this morning, 4 of them at 240 seconds, and this is the last of them, at 25C, ISO 800, 240 seconds. Is this too many hot pixels. The Camera has quite a high shutter count of 63,000, I'm wondering if I should've bought it. You might have to click on the image to see the hot pixels.

600D.thumb.jpg.053bfd3373f65db67b6d44c58cce251f.jpg

Edited by smr

7 hours ago, smr said:

Is this too many hot pixels

Hi

Perhaps the best way to deal with DSLR noise is to dither between frames and then stack with an algorithm which removes the hot pixels. This means taking bias frames  (along with your light and flat frames) instead of dark frames. Indeed, you'll probably find that dark frames introduce more noise.

HTH

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alacant said:

Hi

Perhaps the best way to deal with DSLR noise is to dither between frames and then stack with an algorithm which removes the hot pixels. This means taking bias frames  (along with your light and flat frames) instead of dark frames. Indeed, you'll probably find that dark frames introduce more noise.

HTH

Ah yes Kappa Sigma clipping and hot pixel removal in DSS should be fine. I dither with APT and PHD2 and use Bias frames. Really don't want to take darks with a DSLR as they need to be temperature matching which is difficult to do and then there's having to wait for dark frames. Thanks.