NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Eye Piece help

Hi all,

Can you advise me on the best eye piece I should get to view our planets. 

I would like to spend around £50 to £60 I think. 

I only have a beginner telescope (heritage 100p) so know I am not expecting to see them in close up. 

I rushed in with a cheap 4mm which had a really narrow field of view and for me and my scope is next to useless at the moment.

Thank you

Mark

With my 10" Dob, when doing Space Badge, cubs and joeys, scout movement, and K- grade 4 primary schools presentations with my club, I use a 15MM and 17MM wide-angle-angle eyepieces

Both give good eye relief

For the moon, use your 25mm eyepiece, with a lunar filter

I also have a 2X barlow, very rarely use it

John

Just now, cloudsweeper said:

^^^^^........still available, and I recently dropped the price to £49.00 (plus postage)!

Doug.

I used to own one of those. A really good high power eyepiece and 82 degree field of view as well :thumbright:

I believe @mikeDnight owned one as well and thought highly of it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ricochet said:

Which 4mm did you buy and do you have any other accessories than those bundled with the scope? 

There is a 4mm Nirvana for sale in the classifieds that should do quite nicely. 

I bought this one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0839G5PTP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_wWvhFbKF3K1RE

It was cheap and I have learnt from my mistake.

I haven't got the money just yet, but was asking in advance.

Will keep an eye on the classified page though.

17 hours ago, cletrac1922 said:

Mark

With my 10" Dob, when doing Space Badge, cubs and joeys, scout movement, and K- grade 4 primary schools presentations with my club, I use a 15MM and 17MM wide-angle-angle eyepieces

Both give good eye relief

For the moon, use your 25mm eyepiece, with a lunar filter

I also have a 2X barlow, very rarely use it

John

Ive got a 10mm with 52 degree view and can't make out anything from Jupiter. I can see her moons but not her clouds. 

26 minutes ago, Mark68 said:

Ive got a 10mm with 52 degree view and can't make out anything from Jupiter. I can see her moons but not her clouds. 

Sorry to seem a bit fussy, but Jupiter is generally referred to as being masculine!

At least two of his belts are usually easily visible.  Depends on seeing and altitude.  Lower magnification can sometimes help.

Doug.

Edited by cloudsweeper

4 hours ago, cloudsweeper said:

Sorry to seem a bit fussy, but Jupiter is generally referred to as being masculine!

At least two of his belts are usually easily visible.  Depends on seeing and altitude.  Lower magnification can sometimes help.

Doug.

My apologies.

As you can guess, I'm new to this, so just trying to find my feet. 

I guess I need to save up for a decent eye piece. Definitely can't see any belts with what I have got. 

Hence the question. 

Mark

I am also in the southern hemisphere

Currently around 8pm every night have Jupiter directly overhead, with Saturn trailing not far behind

Mars appears above the eastern horizon just after 8pm, and clearly visible angle of 45 deg above the eastern horizon around 11pm

Just after sunset also have Scorpio, Antares is very visible, and to the south of Scorpio, also have The Crux, also known as the Southern Cross

Once the current COVID-19 pandemic has eased, people able to travel again, this stage our border to international  travelers will remain close until this time next year, you make it down this way, only too happy to show you what is above us

John