NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sensor Dust

smr

I received my Canon 600D DSLR this morning and took some photos to see what the sensor is like, and as I expected there is some dust. I've used a blower so it would need cleaning with a wet clean if I were to do it, but I'm wondering if it's worth bothering, as I take flats. What do you think? 

IMG_6927.thumb.JPG.4f1aa37070a62658ce36ef670649f0de.JPG

Edited by smr

It's always worth taking Flats IMO, they should remove those artefacts.

Assuming only the #LPF-2 filter was removed, the Canon Sensor Cleaning function on the remaining #LPF-1 filter should still work, I'd try that first.

But if during the mod that dust got onto the sensor, which is under the #LPF-1 filter, then you can't get to that with brushes or wet wipes.

Michael

Be mindful that if its one of Juan's cameras (Cheap Astrophotography) that he removes the anti aliasing filter in some of the 600D's and the sensor cleaning function won't work. The biggest issue I find with DSLR sensor dust is it can move around during a session, im assuming by the shutter action, and rendering flats useless at removing the artifacts. He's left the LP filter in my 6D and the ultrasonic cleaning is quite effective, as long as I remember to take flats before I switch it off or the battery runs out!

You should get the sensor as clean as possible with the blower and if you have an alcohol based cleaning kit, use that to clean it also and if available put a clip filter into position to keep any more dust out.

Edited by david_taurus83
spelling

2 hours ago, david_taurus83 said:

Be mindful that if its one of Juan's cameras (Cheap Astrophotography) that he removes the anti aliasing filter in some of the 600D's and the sensor cleaning function won't work. The biggest issue I find with DSLR sensor dust is it can move around during a session, im assuming by the shutter action, and rendering flats useless at removing the artifacts. He's left the LP filter in my 6D and the ultrasonic cleaning is quite effective, as long as I remember to take flats before I switch it off or the battery runs out!

You should get the sensor as clean as possible with the blower and if you have an alcohol based cleaning kit, use that to clean it also and if available put a clip filter into position to keep any more dust out.

Yes it's one of Juan's mods. How would I know if the sensor cleaning when switching off the camera works or not? When I switch it off I see the message to say that the sensor is cleaning itself.

I think he does it to all the cameras which have the Baader BCF filter installed to allow daytime use. If its just the IR filter removed for astro, the LP1 filter is left in place and so the sensor cleaning should work. Maybe worth an email to Juan with the camera serial number. He might be able to offer more advice.

4 hours ago, david_taurus83 said:

I think he does it to all the cameras which have the Baader BCF filter installed to allow daytime use. If its just the IR filter removed for astro, the LP1 filter is left in place and so the sensor cleaning should work. Maybe worth an email to Juan with the camera serial number. He might be able to offer more advice.

Yes it was just the IR removal as I asked the seller before buying.