Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First good DSLR for DSO astrophotography

I've been recently interested in deep sky astrophotography. I have a nikon D90. I tried to photograph comet NEOWISE yesterday. I got good results, except, the images were very noisy. So I'm now looking for a new DSLR, surely Canon, which makes low noise. Then I'll request someone modify it for capturing h-alpha. I've been deciding between the EOS 6Da,EOS 60Da and Ra. I decided by the 60Da as it was the cheapest, but it isn't anywhere for sell. I'm not sure if I will buy a EOS 60D and modify it, to be like the 60Da. ¿Is it a good idea? If not, ¿Any other good DSLRs? Thank you... 

Edited by HaleBopp2007

Hi, just like you, I started with a D90. Very old model, noisy, but that's what I had and I gave it a shot. After much researching and considering all the possible arguments between Canon vs Nikon, I decided to get still another Nikon: the D5300. The difference was night and day. Much, much less noisy, higher dynamic range, lighter. Beautiful images. I then astromodified it myself by removing the stock filter. I bought a 2" UV/IR cut filter and cut it to size, to prevent star bloating and I have been happy ever since. I would advice you to have it modified by a shop, though. Not much for the opening the camera and removing the stock filter, that was the easy part. The hard part was cutting the UV/IR filter to size, since I couldn't find any precut rectangular filters that would fit the original dimensions of the one I had to remove.

Since you have a D90, I suppose you have already lenses that would fit a Nikon, so I would advice you to stick with Nikon. Most arguments pro Canon and against Nikon were about astrophotography software not supporting Nikon and similar. But with the newer Nikon models you have nothing to worry about. All the major, free astrophotography suites (AstroPhotography Tool, N.I.N.A., EKOS) work perfectly fine with my D5300.

The D5500 could be another choice, but the sensor is exactly the same. The only differences are some added functions that are not really needed for astrophotography at all.

Hope this helps!

• Thanks 1

Thanks! Helpful indeed! The only thing I'm a bit worried about is to make myself the filter... If I had to dfo it myself, then I would be looking for a Baader BCF... Still don't know if someone modifies nikon cameras... 

I just checked the specs and compared it to the D5300. It looks like it is the exact same sensor, so the noise levels should be comparable to mine. If it is already modified (but with a UV/IR cut filter mounted, at least, not completely naked sensor), then I would buy it, if the price is good.

Here is the link to the comparison: https://www.digicamdb.com/compare/nikon_d5600-vs-nikon_d5300/

EDIT: also, there are a lot of shops here in Italy that modify even Nikon cameras. I am sure you can find one where you live, too.

Edited by endlessky
  • Thanks 1

Then I would probably get this one: https://www.astroshop.eu/astromodified-dslrs/nikon-camera-dslr-d5600a/p,53133

Full range allows UV and IR to pass through, and that's not good for astrophotography: the lens will not focus all the light spectrum in the same focal plane and the further into the blue and red parts of the spectrum, the more this difference in focus will be noticed. If you cut those parts with a UV/IR cut filter, then you will not have problems reaching focus and the stars will not have a weird blue or purple halo around them.

I would look in the used market, as well. I bought my D5300 used for 340 Euros and it only had 2000 shots taken (so basically new). The cost of astromodifying it in a shop, at least here in Italy, is around 200 Euros. So with 5-600 Euros you could have a fairly new, modified camera, instead of spending 1000+ for a completely new one.

I went for the Canon 600D like many other - a good quality second hand one for £160 then got it modified by Astronomiser for a further £95. Very, very capable device for ~£250. Use it as much as my mono setup + filters.

Edited by Guest