NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hi ... i have just bought a QHY5-LL planetary camera ... i have downloaded the software and drivers ... and , as far as i know its working ( although all i am seeing is light and dark shades rather than images... ) i should point out that i have not connected the camera to the telescope yet . I am pretty sure i have done everything right so far ( i watched a qhy vid and although i got a little lost i came to the same end result. so far so good ... so now i want to connect this little camera onto my 127 mak . There is a little lens on the front of the camera .. do i need to remove that , exposing the sensor ? after all the telescope will be the lens surely . Do  i need to put the small extension tube on ( that came with the camera ) ... after that , do i just put the camera into the place where the normal eyepieces usually go?... 

Then , how do i achieve focus ? is it a case of just using the telescope focuser ... do i still keep the diagonal in place that i use for viewing ?

I know to most of you these will be basic questions but this is the first time ive used one of these cameras and the instructions might just as well been written only in chinese , and the vids ive watched were not much help . 

Any help will be much appreciated .. and will  stop me going insane !!

thank you in advance .

Do you mean a QHY5L II camera? Mine didn't come with a lens, just the extension tube, parfocal ring and rubber spacing washer, in addition to the cables. 

If it is indeed a lens, then you will need to remove it before fitting the camera to the 'scope. Yes it does go into the focuser in place of an eyepiece. 

You can use the extension tube and parfocal ring to match focus with an eyepiece so that you can switch between the two.  The extension tube also helps if you don't have enough back focus on your focuser.

HTH

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Thalestris24 said:

Hi

You have to have the camera in a scope to get an image. Leave the glass window alone! You use the scope to focus but the focal point of the scope has to be on the sensor.

Louise

Thank you for the reply ... when you say leave the glass window alone , do you mean , leave it on the camera ? So sorry for appearing dumb on this .. lol i cant even remember if it was attached to the camera in the first place , as i tried so many combinations .  . ... DOH ! ive just watched a vid that i found on you tube .. quite clearly you are right Louise ...feel a bit less dumb now lol 

Thanks also , Bryan for your input . 

Its good to know that people can get help really quickly .

Edited by Stu1smartcookie

2 hours ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

Thank you for the reply ... when you say leave the glass window alone , do you mean , leave it on the camera ? So sorry for appearing dumb on this .. lol i cant even remember if it was attached to the camera in the first place , as i tried so many combinations .  . ... DOH ! ive just watched a vid that i found on you tube .. quite clearly you are right Louise ...feel a bit less dumb now lol 

Thanks also , Bryan for your input . 

Its good to know that people can get help really quickly .

Hi

Assuming that you have one of these and it looks like this:

365astronomy-QHY-5L-II-planetary-guide-cmos-camera.jpg

The reddish appearance is just a glass window to protect the sensor. If you have a colour version I think it will also be a UV filter. You really don't want to remove the glass and get dust on the sensor!

Hth

Louise

Just now, Stu1smartcookie said:

which i probably have done :( ... if there is a bit of dust on the sensor , how can i clean it ? 

I would suggest using a magnifying glass  (head mounted ones are good) and a air blower (as used to clean dslr sensors). If necessary, you could use a small artists' paint brush to dislodge anything. You may have been lucky and not got any dust on the sensor. However, if it was in my living room, for example, then no such luck!

Louise

2 minutes ago, Thalestris24 said:

I would suggest using a magnifying glass  (head mounted ones are good) and a air blower (as used to clean dslr sensors). If necessary, you could use a small artists' paint brush to dislodge anything. You may have been lucky and not got any dust on the sensor. However, if it was in my living room, for example, then no such luck!

Louise

thanks Louise ... dust is everywhere lol .