NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Using two computers

Does anyone use two computers, one for the imaging camera and one for the guiding?

If so, how do you make it dither automatically, as PHD2 and APT will be running on separate computers?

I'm seeing increasing unreliability with one of my laptop USB ports, so another way for me would be to use two laptops.

Thanks

John

1 hour ago, Starwiz said:

as PHD2 and APT will be running on separate computers?

Hi John. I hate it when people answer a question by asking a question but blow me I'm going to do it - is there a reason why you don't plug a usb hub into one of your good, working usb ports? Running two laptops with two pieces of software trying to work in harmony sounds like a recipe for lost imaging time!

Apologies again for asking a question in response to your question.

Adrian

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Starwiz said:

Does anyone use two computers, one for the imaging camera and one for the guiding?

If so, how do you make it dither automatically, as PHD2 and APT will be running on separate computers?

I'm seeing increasing unreliability with one of my laptop USB ports, so another way for me would be to use two laptops.

Thanks

John

Would a USB hub on one of the ports that is still OK be a cheaper and easier first option?

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Adreneline said:

Hi John. I hate it when people answer a question by asking a question but blow me I'm going to do it - is there a reason why you don't plug a usb hub into one of your good, working usb ports? Running two laptops with two pieces of software trying to work in harmony sounds like a recipe for lost imaging time!

Apologies again for asking a question in response to your question.

Adrian

37 minutes ago, Shimrod said:

Would a USB hub on one of the ports that is still OK be a cheaper and easier first option?

Thanks both, I'll check out USB hubs.

John