Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Baader Click Lock for 10" Bresser Dob

I've managed to upgrade the EP system to the click lock on my 10" Bresser. There's a bit of a workaround needed if anyone finds themselves wanting to do the same.

The positives first:

• No slop! It feels like it was made to fit EP's perfectly. Why do standard systems supplied not at least hug an EP at least, they're all built to a standard? The Baader is a nice tight fit and the lock hardly needs to be rotated much at all to lock an EP in place. A well centred EP!
  • The two screws on the 1.25" piece ooze quality. But for 2" EP's it's simplicity in itself of a simple very small twist and an EP is firmly locked in place (with one caveat mentioned below)

So there was one consideration through this, which was having enough extension to focus through all of my EP's. I checked the closest focussing, through to the farthest  EP's I have. Closest measured an additional 16mm, whilst the furthest was some 34mm, which is only 8mm from topping out on the focuser. 

I decided to add the 20mm extension having measured up the focal length of the 2" ClickLock (43.5mm), which has reduced those amounts above by 4mm, so there's plenty of play for future EP's. 

The bit that you need to know if you do decided to change them with a Bresser, is that on the main 2" holder, there's a 0.75mm-1mm thread adapter. I hadn't noted this when I read up on the system. I couldn't work out at first, why the extension wasn't screwing into the base of the focuser properly.  Thankfully the good chaps at FLO came up with a solution. The thread adapter that's on the 2" holder needed to be unscrewed and used as the starting point ie. screwed onto the focuser base! 

My only gripe now is that the thread of the 2" holder tightens in the same direction of course as the click lock collar, itself. So, especially when left for a bit, the collar grips and so you find yourself unscrewing the 2" section. A couple of small bolts to secure the threaded section would have stopped this from happening, maybe? I need to have a look into a solution here, and then, it would be perfect. I might try a slither of PTFE to see whether that help the two threads grip better?

Part codes for the Bresser 10" conversion are:

2" ClickLock - M68i x 0.75 (for Hexafoc focusers) - 2956269

2"-1.25" reducer - 2408190

20mm M68 extension tube - 2458202

If you opt for the extension tube, it does add up, for what it is. 

IMG_8157.jpg

Edited by Stardaze
  • Like 1

A drop of threadlocker should stop the parts unscrewing, or you might find that if left alone for a decent period they seize up naturally. 

I'm not sure why you replaced the standard Bresser reducer with a normal Baader one though? A 1.25" Clicklock would only be a little bit more expensive. 

1 hour ago, Ricochet said:

A drop of threadlocker should stop the parts unscrewing, or you might find that if left alone for a decent period they seize up naturally. 

I'm not sure why you replaced the standard Bresser reducer with a normal Baader one though? A 1.25" Clicklock would only be a little bit more expensive. 

Ah.... I thought that was odd and didn't realise that there's a click version. I just took what FLO had in as it were 😂 Can't see there is a version on their site?

Edit: Just found them on another site at £54, against £27 for the version I've got. I'll live with it for that. The conversion cost £140 as it were, which is well over-priced. I needed the 2" clamping more so. The version I have still takes the slop out of an eyepiece and locks solidly, so I'll live with it. To add additional context, if you were to go the full Click Lock on the 1.25" too (£177) that works out exactly a third of the cost of the whole telescope 😂

And found at FLO too: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/baader-clicklock-2-125-adapter-2956214.html Ah well, live and learn! 

Edited by Stardaze

1 hour ago, Pixies said:

Hi Stardaze,

I'm looking to something similar in the medium term. Can I contact you later to get some information on how things go?

Cheers

Of course 😃

It's the faff of working out where your eye pieces gain focus, there's 14mm between my lot.. Hopefully on your version, you don't need an extension section, as that adds 30% cost to it all. I could have gotten away with not having the extension, were it for one EP - I was literally about 1mm out! Did consider just clamping it in, a mil out, but there's no leeway later on should I purchase an EP that focuses closer again. 

Edited by Stardaze

38 minutes ago, Stardaze said:

Of course 😃

It's the faff of working out where your eye pieces gain focus, there's 14mm between my lot.. Hopefully on your version, you don't need an extension section, as that adds 30% cost to it all. I could have gotten away with not having the extension, were it for one EP - I was literally about 1mm out! Did consider just clamping it in, a mil out, but there's no leeway later on should I purchase an EP that focuses closer again. 

Ta,

Most of my EPs seem to focus at quite a distance out. Probably around the outer 25% of focuser travel. Perhaps the 203mm Bresser might be a little more forgiving when it comes to having to get an extension. I'll need to measure thing later on. Still on the budget EPs, so no rush.

Which EP caused the problem? How did the 2" EPs fare?

6 minutes ago, Pixies said:

Ta,

Most of my EPs seem to focus at quite a distance out. Probably around the outer 25% of focuser travel. Perhaps the 203mm Bresser might be a little more forgiving when it comes to having to get an extension. I'll need to measure thing later on. Still on the budget EPs, so no rush.

Which EP caused the problem? How did the 2" EPs fare?

All of the 2" EP's focus well out (30--34mm), the 1.25"s are much closer. (16mm-20mm) The Nirvana 16mm is the closest. 

I'm going to see if I can swap the 1.25" reducer. If not, it's not the end of the world as trying to go mostly 2" EP's anyway. 

Edited by Stardaze

6 minutes ago, Stardaze said:

All of the 2" EP's focus well out (30--34mm), the 1.25"s are much closer. (16mm-20mm) The Nirvana 16mm is the closest. 

I'm going to see if I can swap the 1.25" reducer. If not, it's not the end of the world as trying to go mostly 2" EP's anyway. 

I see you removed the original Bresser extension tube (the one that everyone nearly throws away inthe packaging). What was the reason for that?

28 minutes ago, Pixies said:

I see you removed the original Bresser extension tube (the one that everyone nearly throws away inthe packaging). What was the reason for that?

In short, it’s too long with the click lock system for my 16mm nirvana to focus, but only by a mil or two. All my other EPs should focus in theory. The click lock adds around 18mm from memory to the system. 

1 minute ago, Stardaze said:

In short, it’s too long with the click lock system for my 16mm nirvana to focus, but only by a mil or two. All my other EPs should focus in theory. The click lock adds around 18mm from memory to the system. 

OK. I think I'll do it one bit at a time when I have a go. In fact, I can probably get the 1,25" click-lock adapter just now.

9 minutes ago, Pixies said:

OK. I think I'll do it one bit at a time when I have a go. In fact, I can probably get the 1,25" click-lock adapter just now.

That makes sense. I was having more issue with the 2” EP’s slopping about mostly.

1 hour ago, Stardaze said:

Quick update: I’ve swapped the 1.25” reducer which makes sense so thanks to @Ricochet for spotting my mistake there. The thread seems to have locked up too so all working as it should, so much better!

9F9D4F8F-74C1-4F46-B38A-DC27CC6A398C.jpeg

Excellent. Clicklocks improve every scope. 

• Like 1