NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Telescope problem

Hi. I'm new here, but this will likely be my only post if it is answered. My question is about my telescope; it was pretty cheap, only $20, but it was at a garage sale, so most stuff is cheap there. So anyways, the problem is that when I look through it, the quality is perfect, but there is a white fogginess that covers the whole thing like I am looking through a thick white fog between me and the visual destination. I've tried cleaning the lenses, because there was some kind of sticky stuff on them, but even after doing that, the fog was still there. Am I doing something wrong? Thank you in advance.

Grant,

I think you'll have to give us a bit more information to be able to help you.

I assume it's a refractor (not a reflector with a mirror), any makers details? Size of the lens at the front? Length of the tube?

What eyepieces were you using and what were you looking at?

When you cleaned the lenses (which ones?) did they look clear?

You say "the quality is perfect" Can you explain?

perhaps post a picture of the scope and lens and if you can, and the setup you are trying and if possible a pic of the image you see.

Are you using a diagonal or fitting the eyepiece directly into the focuser?

The diagonal may also need a clean, but being a mirror you need to do that in the correct way to avoid damaging it. Lens cleaner and wiping it will likely ruin it.

I was using a HM 25mm eyepiece, and I was looking at my chickens, LOL, about 100 yards away. To clean the lenses, I cleaned the one in front with a wet wipe and a tissue. Looked just fine afterwards. Then, I used the tissue to wipe off the dust in the rest of the lenses. They all looked clean when I looked at them. What I mean by the quality is that whatever I was looking at wasn't blurry, but it was like I was looking through fog. 

I was using a diagonal, and I've already cleaned all the dust off with a tissue. Looked clear when I looked at it.

I'll post pics and measurements in a moment

My telescope lens is about 3.5 in. or 9 cm. The telescope part is about 10 in. long, or 25.5 cm. And the whole thing is about 19 3/4 in. or 50 cm long.

I couldn't take any actual pictures through the telescope.  The line of sight would dissappear when I got close enough to see through it with my camera.

20200720_081839.thumb.jpg.17d5f414179291087aec0ea0e645759f.jpg

20200720_082127.thumb.jpg.3a88e6019a55f4313770f5555f21c911.jpg

+1

also give a try without the diagonal to eliminate that as the cause.

A wet tissue isn't ideal, lens cleaner (glasses type even) is much better, but the diagonal definitely not. It'd need the mirror cleaning with mild soapy water and rinsed with distilled water and left to dry to not damage the surface. 

First off, it's not my window, or my reflector.  I looked through the reflector by itself, and everything looked fine. No fogginess there. I've tried opening the window with the same results. Also, I used a different clean tissue for cleaning the rest of the telescope. Sorry or the misunderstanding. I should have said I used a different tissue. I just used it to get rid of dust. But now that the sun is up where I live, it is getting even more foggy. Maybe it's too bright? Is that even a thing? It wasn't as foggy yesterday and it was cloudy.

Is the direction you are looking toward where the sun is? or in that side of the sky?

Could be internal reflection if the tube isn't well flocked/coated to damp down the stray light and it's reflecting around inside the tube. That'll certainly lose contrast much as it does with binoculars or even sunglasses.

Yes, I was looking towards where the sun was coming up. (It was on that side of the sky) So it is probably what you said. But is there a way to fix this? And should it work fine at night? I mainly got it to see the stars and planets and the moon.

Edited by Grant_756

do you get better views looking at a target with the sun behind you?

To improve the light damping inside the scope will mean dismantling it and trying to insert a flocking material which on a narrow tube could be quite fiddly. Also check the eyepiece and diagonal barriers are matt black inside the barrel part or they will add to the reflections. For looking at the stars though, you may be fine as it is so give that a try first. 

yep that sure won't help. If you can get some self-adhesive flocking and stick that around the inside of the dew shield that'll make a big difference in daytime use. At night unless it's the moon you should be ok though, unless there's lights in the area that may reflect.

28 minutes ago, DaveL59 said:

yep that sure won't help. If you can get some self-adhesive flocking and stick that around the inside of the dew shield that'll make a big difference in daytime use. At night unless it's the moon you should be ok though, unless there's lights in the area that may reflect.

Thanks for the help. I will do that.